Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

October 8, 2015
By Oldinep GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Oldinep GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
17 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Bonjour!” said a strange lady as I walked into her class.
Why the heck are we speaking French on the first day of school? I thought. Where’s the English?
Then, the strange lady spoke.
“Bonjour!” Je m’appelle Mademoiselle Armour.”
Whoa! What the heck did she say? I know what class I’m dropping now, French! But I never did. I don’t know what happened to make me change my mind, but I’m glad  I didn’t. If I had, I never would've found a teacher that could put up with me and my sassy personality.
During the first few weeks of my freshmen year of Arrowhead High School, I was wondering why I wasn’t thrown out of French class. The number one rule in French class is “No parler Anglaise” which means don’t speak English in class. But of course, I didn’t listen. I would always get the class off track and speak English.
“Stephanie!” said Mademoiselle Armour using my French name. “No parler Analgise.”
Sometimes she would say not to speak English with a smile on her face. I think she still secretly liked me, but she puts up a front not to show her favorites.
Mademoiselle would sometimes swear in French, but no one knew what she saying until she told us a year later. It made me feel special that I knew how to swear in French and no one knew what I was saying. Cool!  I thought. A teacher that swears in French. I like her. She is like a tall glass of refreshing lemonade.
Mademoiselle would show her sass in her class. Her sass was like the Disney Channel movie The Aristocats.  When some students questioned how she would teach, she would say, “Tu Francais UN, et Je suis Francaise trente,” which translated into means “you’re in French one,  and I’m in French 30.” I loved how she used her sass to get us to focus, I admire her for that.
I was talking to someone, and I said, “What kind of explanation is that?” Then Mademoiselle opened her mouth and said, “What kind of French is that?” in pure English. I was speechless. The whole class said "Whoa! Roasted!” which means you got burned. Well on the bright side, that burn and sass captured the class’s attention. That’s what I love about Mademoiselle. She can use her personality to burn us or to get us back on track.
Mademoiselle Armour isn’t just sassy, but she is also the funniest teacher I ever had. For example, the smart board always doesn’t seem to work when she wants to use it so she would say “Zut” “(shoot)” when she got upset!“Haha!” said the class. “Elle est tres drole.” (She is so funny.)
“Non,” said Mademoiselle Armour.
She would say, “no, it's not funny”  with a smile on her face, but I’m pretty sure she was just happy that we were speaking French in her class.
“So what’s the word for donut in French?” I said outloud.
Mademoiselle would glare at me like a lion staring at is prey before pouncing for speaking English, but it wasn't a serious glare. It was one of those I’m watching you glares, but I like you still glares.
“Stephanie,” she said, “Comment deotoun un donut.” (How do you say donut in French?)
I couldn’t help laugh, but I did. Whenever she glares, it's honestly the most hilarious thing I’ve ever seen in my life.
Mademoiselle isn’t just funny, she is also the nicest teacher I’ve ever had, and I don’t say that about just any teacher. Mademoiselle is as nice as sunflowers blooming on a summer day.
“Mademoiselle...” I said, but before I could finish.  This boy named Jerome, well his French name at least, said something rude. We were literally at each other's throats during class. We both thought each other was annoying. You see, Jerome used to be so mean that you’d think he didn’t have a heart.
“Il est tres impoli,” I said glaring at Jerome.
“Elle est tres ennuyeux,” Jerome said glaring back at me.
In English, I said you're being very impolite, and Jerome said to me you're being very annoying. This went on for sometime and Mademoiselle put a stop to it. We had new seats every week, and I had been sitting next to Jerome for about three weeks now. I knew Mademoiselle wanted us to get along so I tried. I found out Jerome was funny and nice and somewhere along the road, we became friends. That was so nice for Mademoiselle to put me next to Jerome for those weeks even though we were driving her crazy, but she knew we would become friends eventually. That’s what Mademoiselle does the best. She goes out of her way to try and make enemies friends while teaching us new lesson. She is literally the nicest woman ever, and she still is my French teacher to this very day.
Mademoiselle inspires me to be a better person ever. I’ve learned a lot-not just in the class lessons she teaches us, but also in her life lesson. She taught me that sometimes it's okay to close your mouth if you want to learn something. You don’t have to be the loudest one in class all the time. I couldn’t be prouder to have the best French teacher in the whole world. Thank you Mademoiselle Armour! You're my favorite teacher, and I will never forget you.


The author's comments:

It's about my favorite teacher at Arrowhead High School, my French teacher.