The Power of Influence | Teen Ink

The Power of Influence

October 26, 2015
By Olivia.Marx BRONZE, LA QUINTA, California
Olivia.Marx BRONZE, LA QUINTA, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Influence: the capacity to have an effect on the character, development, or behavior of someone or something, or the effect itself. I have been affected, or influenced by many people in my life, and have shaped me into the person I am today. As a young adult, I believe that the habits and role models in my life right now will effect me or change my later life style, beliefs, and attitudes on life. I am very happy that I’m able to believe that and have such influential people in my life this time.  Everyday I have six periods, and every teacher that I get to learn and grow memories with makes an impact on me forever, but the one that as been not only one of the most influential teachers, but also one of the most influential people in my life. He goes by the name Mr. Kemp.

As a little sixth grader, scared and clueless, all I heard was gossip and rumors about teachers. All I kept hearing was how incredible Mr. Kemp was, and then and two years later I have never heard one negative thing about Mr. Kemp from a student. I couldn’t wait to be apply for his yearbook class at the end of the year. Fast forward 8 months, to me being denied into the yearbook class. I really worked hard on my application and slideshow (the slideshow was the second stage of the application and only half of the applicants was invited to make one)  so I wanted to go to Mr. Kemp classroom, meet him, and ask why I didn’t get in and what could I do better to get in next year. He was so nice, and was incredibly honest about why I didn’t get in, and he really encouraged me to apply next year and apply these corrections. Fast Forward even more, by 6 months, I switched into his cinematography class not knowing what to expect.

He was very welcoming, and helpful with me being the new kid in the class. He explained the upcoming assignments to me, and let me work. He taught me history on movies, actors and actresses, how to work a camera, how to use a Mac, and most of confidence. Three months later, Mr. Kemp was always the teacher I looked forward to seeing and the most comfortable with. I had some personal problems at the time with one of my friends and I needed to let an adult know, I told him and he took care of it for me and let me know I can always tell him anything that I needed to. Mr. Kemp. He taught me many other things than education, he taught me to be confident in myself, always to be proud of my work, and always reminded to talk a little less.

At the end of sixth grade, I was planning on staying in cinematography cause at the end of the day I enjoyed the class and learned many things. Mr.Kemp kept pushing and pushing me to apply for Yearbook again, and I didn’t want to because of what happened last year. I was kinda embarrassed, all my friends got in the year before and if I didn’t get in two years in a row, that would be incredibly embarrassing. Luckily, Mr. Kemp was amazingly convincing and I did the application again, and slideshow. Few weeks later, I got the news if I made it into Yearbook staff 2015-2016, the smartest, best photographers in our school. I opened the white envelope, that said Olivia Marx in cursive on top of it, and I unfolded the paper inside of it..my eyes could not believe what it said. I made it into the Yearbook Staff! Fast forward to eighth grade, two month in the year. In yearbook, there is editor in chief, assistant editor in chief, Treasure, and Advertising Director. I was most intrigued about Advertising directors, doing two of the things I love, Social Media, and Making posters. I applied, expecting some of the returning staff to get it, but I still wanted to apply because just maybe I would get it. I got it, Mr. Kemp told me and I was ecstatic. I think about me in sixth grade wishing I would be Mr. Kemp's student, and I look at myself now.  I am in yearbook, doing the thing I have waned for the past two years, with Mr. Kemp one of the most influential teachers and people learning skills about photography, designing, and teamwork.

The ways Mr. Kemp has influenced me is crazy but amazing, it’s difficult to put in an essay. I have learned endless lessons from him, not just about school things, but perspectives on life, responsibility, confidence, how to react to situations, not be afraid to ask questions, and the list could on and on for ages. I’m truly lucky and appreciative I have been able to be Mr. Kemp’s student, and learn from him. This is a thank you to him, and me saying how I have change for the better. His lessons will always be with me, and as a young adult I am lucky to experience those things. Fortunately, I still have 7 months with his sarcastic humor and life lessons.


The author's comments:

What inspired me to make this is my apprectaion for my favorite teacher.