Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By 6minor GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
6minor GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Some of the best lessons in life are taught outside of the classroom. In fact, some of the best lessons I’ve learned in high school were taught by a staff member at my school. Although I never had him for a class, Mr. Tower was able to teach me compassion, dedication, courage, and instill a thirst in knowledge in me through a political debate club at Arrowhead: Junior States of America.

Junior States of America (JSA), is a club ran by the students and for the students. Meetings occur twice a month and controversial topics are chosen for discussion and for speakers. These meetings are an outlet for students to share their voice, become more comfortable with public speaking, and gain knowledge on current and important affairs.

Mr. Tower has continued to support this club with his time and effort, and also with his caring attitude towards the students. He hosts meetings with nothing but a smile and advice for us to become more involved in the ongoings with our current government. He encourages us to step out of our comfort zones and give compelling speeches -- sometimes in front of people we barely know. One distinct piece of advice I remember Mr. Tower telling me was, “Stick true to your values, accept attitudes of others, and most importantly, research and know what you’re talking about. Knowledge is key.”

Seeing Mr. Tower in action at our meetings was like seeing a proud coach on the sidelines, shining with pride and comfortable in our skills. To Mr. Tower, we weren’t just a group of radical teenagers -- we were mature young adults who were interested in the evolvement of the world and government.

Mr. Tower made it possible for our JSA chapter to attend a convention in Washington, D.C. for the last few years and I was able to attend last March. Mr. Tower led us around D.C. showing us landmarks and sharing his expertise on the history involved -- it was incredible. Never have I had a teacher who was able to teach me so much outside of school, and never have I had a teacher who would make me want to come to school when I didn’t have to for our meetings. JSA wouldn’t be the same without Mr. Tower and his impact -- and neither would I without his leadership.