Educator: Mrs.Stratton | Teen Ink

Educator: Mrs.Stratton

By 7gundrum GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
7gundrum GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

People with congenital heart defects aren’t supposed to like gym class. However my middle school experience wasn’t like the typical kids. And I ended up enjoying every aspect of junior high, including P.E.

Mrs. Stratton was my sixth grade gym and health teacher, as well as my basketball coach. And she made every time I wore that green and grey uniform a blast.

With half of a heart, I never planned on being a WNBA star. And even though I was admittedly the worst player on the team, Mrs. Stratton still made sure I felt important. Although they happened as often as often as the sun failing to shine, anytime I made a basket, she’d give me an energized high five -- and tell me I did a good job. She helped build the team bond and made sure we all had an important role on the court. Her upbeat, positive attitude made everyone on the team feel more lively and motivated.

Her optimism inspired the idea of trick-or-treating as a team, when we were all upset that we had a game on Halloween night. It turned out to be a phenomenal evening. We raced from house to house, showing up on doorsteps minutes before the trick-or-treating curfew began. And she tagged along, running right beside us, with equal excitement and enthusiasm. Those are the kind of moments I’ll always remember, and not just because I fell on my face while running down a hill. We laughed all night and definitely bonded as a team. It was like she was one of us kids. She taught us to look on the brightside and to find a positive spin to every predicament.

She also goes out of her way to assist her students. When I told her about the health problems I was going through, she let me borrow a heart monitor from the school. She went over the results with me, so I could understand the data. She’s not required to do that, but she still spent her time helping me.

When I look back on those moments, I realize they were more significant than I realized. I think kids, especially middle school students, just want to feel acknowledged. They want to know they have worth and a purpose. And Mrs. Stratton builds confidence in students through the self-esteem curriculum in health class, and also in the way she forms relationships with the kids in her classroom.

She’s relatable and approachable, and has an evident passion for what she does. It’s refreshing to have a teacher with a genuine interest in their subject. After the basketball season ended, she wrote me a note saying I had inspired her. She deserves to know that my attitude stemmed off of hers. It shows the ripple effect of positive actions.

I recently visited North Shore Middle School and talked with her. It was like catching up with an old friend and with someone I really admired. We talked about our 2010 halloween adventure and the great things she’s still teaching in her health classes. And even though I’m no longer her student, she still wanted to know about my health, high school, and how life was going in general.

Mrs. Stratton left an imprint on my heart because she took the time to get to know me as a person, and not just as a student or basketball player. It’s obvious that she enjoys her job, and I think that’s how success is measured. She’s definitely someone I am glad to have had as a teacher and someone I aspire to be like one day.