Mr. Conway | Teen Ink

Mr. Conway

October 7, 2015
By Anonymous

Throughout my school career, I have had different teachers. Some I've liked--some I've forgotten--but some have changed my life.

 

I struggle to stay focused for more than a couple minutes at at time. School is a daily routine I don’t enjoy. If I were to describe myself in one word as a student, it would be lazy. Nothing seems to capture my attention in the classroom. However, one day this all changed!


Early on in my freshman year, I met a person who (for the next four years) I could rely on for anything--ranging from academics to athletics. Not only was he my tutor, but he was also my basketball coach.
No matter if I need help or just an encouraging word, he is there for me. Passionate, unselfish and sympathetic are words to describe Dave Conway. He is like an unsung hero, who never looks for recognition.
Because of the admiration and respect I have for Mr. Conway, I created my own rap for him...  “Do the Connnnn-Wayyyyy, Do the Connn-Wayyyyyy.” As I rap, Coach Conway shuffles to the tune, knowing this is my way of saying “Hello” or “Thank you.”


As a tutor, Mr. Conway looks forward to helping me with homework. He has a way of teaching me the material so I can understand it and remember it. The lessons I learn from him help prepare me for tests.
I no longer consider myself a lazy student because of Mr. Conway…I am now an engaged and efficient learner who is focused in school. And now, I actually care about college and my future in learning.


As a coach, Coach Conway not only instills confidence in me, but in the whole team as well. Practices the day after a tough loss can suck the life out of all of us. But Coach provides positive, encouraging and inspiring words.  Coach reinforces the little things we need to improve our game. He is the first person in the gym sweeping the floors, and the last person in the gym doing extra individual drills. Seeing Coach Conway sweep the floor to get practice ready makes the team and me appreciate what we have, and it motivates us to leave our game 100% all out on the floor.


Whether I call him Coach, Dave, or Mr. Conway, he has made a huge impact on my life and I thank him for that. And for this reason, I would like to nominate him as Educator of the Year. He deserves it as he never receives the recognition that he deserves!