Educator | Teen Ink

Educator

October 7, 2015
By Maddij16 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Maddij16 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“It's your choice to participate. If you do, you are gaining. If you don't, you are only hurting yourself,” is something Mr. Miller would say to motivate the wrestlers. Even though most people think he’s just a gym teacher, they are wrong. He is also the head coach for the Arrowhead Wrestling team. And he cares for his wrestlers and for his students.

In class or at a tournament, he notices if you aren’t doing your best. Jeremy Miller is the “father” of the wrestling team and in his classroom. He is also a gym teacher, a coach and a father of three. He shows his dedication by coming to school to teach, then staying after school to coach, and watching his kids (if they are with him that day) and this also shows how he can manage his time well.

He looks kind of intimidating. But he is the complete opposite. You’d most likely see him walking around with his backpack and either wearing an athletic matching pants and jacket or shorts and a t-shirt. But he’s never in nice pants and a button down. This shows how he dedicated to his job and he is always ready for any activity.

Something I remember from wrestling season are the speeches he would give after every practice and every match/tournaments. Some were heartfelt, and in some he tried to get the guys to do better, but no matter what he was talking about, he was always motivational. If someone sat out, he would find something for them to do--whether it was doing bikes or walking laps, he wanted each student to be doing something active. 

From being in his gym class to being after school helping manage the wrestling team with the other managers, there's lots I learned about him. That even though he comes off as a tough and intimidating teacher, he understands what students are going through. He's relatable. But he won't give into lame excuses. Thats a good trait to have since most kids just try and get out of things. I’ve learned that even though excuses may sound good at the time you will just be hurting yourself.

No matter how tired the wrestlers were during practice, he would push them without breaking them. Mr. Miller understood how hard it is to keep going when you are so tired, because he was down there with the wrestlers on the mat. Pushing them to be their best, motivating them, and being there for them, he was not only a coach, but also a father figure.

Sitting there listening to the speeches/lectures after the matches and practices. Hearing what he had to say... He never held back how he thinks the guys did or what he thinks they need to improve on. Just listening to him made me reflect on how I can be better in school.

During the wrestling season, the wrestlers needed to keep their grades. My grades were not the best, but listening to his speeches about grades and accomplishing something made me think about how I can apply that to myself. I started to not overthink my homework assignments and started to just get them done and I started noticing my grades rising. 

One of the best traits that Jeremy Miller carries with him is that he motivates and doesn't give up on someone.

“When on the mat don’t give up,” is one of the sayings you would hear Mr. Miller say before every meet, tournament and after every practice. Even though being a gym teacher, father and a coach may not seem all that important, he does this trifecta everyday.