Educator of the year | Teen Ink

Educator of the year

By Brandtttt SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
Brandtttt SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

Throughout my life I have struggled with dyslexia. It's always been twice as hard to do assignments.

When I think about who I want to write about one specific person comes to mind:  Mr. Asher. We mostly call him coach Asher because he coaches girls varsity soccer. But he is also a special ed teacher helping kids at school with learning disabilities.  Coach Asher works hard to help every kid he can, pushing us to do are best and achieve this from our own personal hard work. He helps and pushes kids to do the best work they can, and guides them through challenges they face both in and out of school. 

Coach Asher has a different way of doing things. He expects kids to be responsible and to take care of things they need to get done. He also knows we are teenagers and don't always stay focused. That is when he steps in and helps out.

Coach Asher is a special ed teacher dealing with a variety of kids with both learning and mental disabilities. In many cases, Coach Asher needs to know how to deal with each kid their own specific way, which makes his job so difficult. Most people look at Coach Asher and think that his job is a walk in the park, that all he has to do is sit at a desk and watch kids as they study.  But if you see what he has to deal with like I have, you would consider him a saint.

Coach Asher does so much for so many people and never asks for anything back. All junior year I spent every study hall with Coach Asher and I'll admit it, some days I wished I hadn't been, but it was for my own good.

Seeing as I have severe dyslexia, I sometimes will slack and put off assignments because they are hard for me and it's one way to get around them. Even though I know that this is not an option, I would ignore my assignments. That is where Coach Asher comes in to help. When I walked through the door, he would ask me what I have to work on and what I'll be doing that hour.

Coach Asher pushes me to do my work so  I will succeed in high school and in the rest of my life. I can tell he cares about his students because if he didn't he wouldn't be pushing us towards success.

Another great thing about Coach Asher is he doesn't just do your work for you. Instead, he directs ue in the right direction and makes you overcome the problem by thinking on your own. At the time it's not the most thrilling, but in the long run, it will help you much more than giving you the easy way out.

Without all of Coach Ashes' constant nagging I would not have succeeded like I did in the past and wouldn't be as ready as I am for the future. Couch Asher is an amazing person who helps change students lives. He has helped me thrive in school and overcome the challenges of having dyslexia.