Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By a.webs GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
a.webs GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Originally from a middle school with 120 kids, entering a high school with 2,275 students, seemed intimidating. And then I found out I had to give speeches and socratic seminars? RIP my nerves. But when I joined the forensics team, I met a bubbly, quirky, and a dedicated English teacher, and soon, I learned helpful life skills.

Ms. Singletary teaches five sophomore English classes and ILE (Integrated Learning Experience) classes for freshmen and sophomores (the ILE combines English, Science, Social Studies, Multi-Media, and Art) at Arrowhead Union High School. Mrs. Singletary also helps Mrs. Markano run stage crew and direct a fall and spring play, and Ms. S is also a forensics coach; this entails a meeting every Thursday and then hosting private practices every week after school with the coaches (and there are over 40 kids in forensics). Not only that, but every other Saturday, the team, Ms. S and the rest of the coaches take a two-hour plus bus ride to an all day forensics competition--and the entire time, Ms. S cheers on each student in between rounds. She can be a little sporadic at times, like having a competition on how fast everyone can sit in alphabetical row on the first day of class which ended up making the class talk and get to know each other. Ms. Singletary is also caring, and on Suicide Awareness day she was dressed in yellow, the color which spreads awareness.

In English class and in forensics, Ms. Singletary taught timid freshmen (and me) the art of public speaking. It was rocky at first, but Ms. S encouraged us and never let us feel badly if we messed up, or embarrassed ourselves (which happened often). Not only is she a forensics coach, but Ms. Singletary also dedicates time to her English classes. And the morning of our exams, Ms. S purchased Panera bagels for students who attended her helpful exam review, which not only made me eat breakfast but I also was more prepared for the exam.

Ms. S also helps out with stage crew in Mrs. Markano’s plays and musicals, and she does the special effects makeup for any production in the drama department. When Mrs. Markano decided to do Cinderella (I actually auditioned and got in only because Ms. S gave me the confidence), Ms. Singletary choreographed the dance numbers. Somehow, she even taught my friend (who dances like she has two left feet) how to waltz, which is an amazing feat in and of itself.

Having Ms. Singletary as a teacher, coach, assistant director, and a friend helped me discover new interests like public speaking (which I enjoy now), special effects make-up, and maybe even becoming an English teacher. She is one of the most memorable and funny teachers I’ve had and I will take the skills she taught me like public speaking, dancing, as well as not caring what people think of me, and use them for the rest of my life.