Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

October 6, 2015
By Johnny23 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Johnny23 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As a senior in high school, I find it hard to stay focused on school. I may be contracting the killer disease of senioritis. As I begin to think of solutions to this problem, my thoughts point to Mr. Brengosz.


Mr. Brengosz is a functions teacher at Arrowhead High School in Hartland, Wisconsin. He also coaches the defensive backs on the football team. Every school day, I have the opportunity to learn math from him. Once the school day ends, I learn defensive back techniques from him also.


Functions may not be the most fun subject to teach, but Mr. Brengosz always finds a way to make it enjoyable by connecting it to real life examples (such as comparing professional baseball players stats with one another or tracking your calorie consumption for a week).


On the football field, Coach Brengosz is a leader who cares about his athletes as  individuals and not just as players. He teaches each athlete the fundamentals of the game and he is devoted to our team.


Mr. Brengosz is also a creative teacher. In his math class, we not only learn the fundamentals of functions, but we also learn a “fact of the day.” The “fact of the day” can be anything from sales of mac and cheese in Canada to the average human’s sleep cycle. Did you know that only 15% of teenagers actually get 8 hours of sleep per night? That means that 85% of high schoolers are not receiving the healthy amount of sleep their body needs. No wonder why we move like zombies.


Mr. Brengosz is like a switch hitter in baseball, as he can teach and coach. He comes to class or the field with a smile on his face and is excited to teach his students or players the fundamentals of math or football. Which is why I would like to nominate Mr. Brengosz for educator of the month.