Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By kaylatwaddell BRONZE, Claymont, Delaware
kaylatwaddell BRONZE, Claymont, Delaware

In the beginning of my eighth grade year, I was pretty much done with middle school. I didn’t think anything mattered because it was my last year.  Then I met Mr. Sypher.  Mr. Sypher is the eighth grade science teacher at Springer Middle School. At first, I wasn’t too excited about meeting him because science was my least favorite class. After a week or two, I really got to know Mr. Sypher. Let’s just say that after I got to know him, I started to look forward to going to school because his class was always the highlight of my day.

Mr. Sypher taught me so much, but the first thing he ever taught me was that eighth grade year did matter, especially if I wanted to get into a good high school.  Everything that ever came out of his mouth was worth listening to.  Before his class, I never really understood science; no other teacher took the time to explain things to me like Mr. Sypher. He was always there to help me when I needed it, and answered any questions I wanted answered. All the activities we did in his class were never a waste of time. I always had so much interest in what we were doing. I used to get Bs and Cs in science, but in Mr. Sypher’s science class, I got As.

Mr. Sypher is one of the best people I have ever met. He’s the type of person you always want to be around because he’s positive in every situation. He is so easygoing and understanding. If you had a problem, he was there to listen. If you didn’t turn in your homework because something was going on, he understood and just asked you to turn it in the next day. I will never forget the time I came into school upset because of something that happened at home; Mr. Sypher was right there to talk to me about it. He was ALWAYS there to talk if you needed him.

Mr. Sypher was not only a good teacher in school, but also a great person out of school. At the end of eighth grade year, we went on a field trip to Hershey Park. Mr. Sypher was my chaperone, and let me just tell you, he was the best chaperone anyone could ask for. He would ride the roller coasters with us, and we all just had the best time. I honestly don’t think I would have had as much fun if Mr. Sypher wasn’t my chaperone. Even outside of school, Mr. Sypher was there to talk. When I said ALWAYS, I really meant it! Just shoot him an email saying what you needed to say, and he’d give you the best advice he could give.

I chose Mr. Sypher for Educator of the Year because he was like one of my best friends. Not only did he help me exceed in science, he helped me exceed in all my other classes as well. He taught me about the real world and told things how they are. Anyone that does this much for his or her students deserves to have this award and in that case, it’s Mr. Sypher.