Inside Out | Teen Ink

Inside Out

By HadleyCarr BRONZE, East Bernard, Texas
HadleyCarr BRONZE, East Bernard, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

A transformation is defined as a thorough or dramatic change in form or appearance. Transformation is a word that is often overused. Rarely does a person get the opportunity to truly be transformed. When it happens, you’re changed forever. How do I know this? I’m living proof.
Allison Landers Brantly was my 8th grade basketball coach, freshman JV volleyball coach, sophomore varsity volleyball coach, and my biggest supporter. She has coached me through countless games and listened to me cry at least one hundred times. I look up to her because she has an incredible drive to compete and to win. Coach Brantly strives for perfection in every aspect of her life. I never realized her faith in my athleticism or my character until the fall volleyball season of 2014.
For as long as I can remember, I have had high standards for myself and for as long as I can remember, when I didn’t achieve those standards a different side of me broke loose. I was a kid with a major attitude problem. Coach Brantly saw the root of the problem before I was even on her team. She saw the perfectionism in me, and she knew exactly how to fix it. It’s for this that I am most grateful.
On the very first day of summer training, Coach pulled me into her office and told me that I was her “piece of work” for the year. Not only was this embarrassing, but it was scary.  I didn’t understand why Coach wouldn’t play me. She said I had “athletic ability” and “great potential,” but I felt as if I was never given a chance to prove my skills. I finally realized that Coach Brantly was teaching me something that I will never ever forget, humility. She helped me come to the realization that trying to avoid my anger would get me nowhere. I never doubted my athletic ability, and neither did she. However, Coach Brantly forced me to face my selfishness and completely change my ways. 
  Coach Brantly has changed my life forever. My transformation was and always will be a thorough and dramatic change. Not only is it present in my attitude on the court, but in every aspect of my life. Coach Brantly is not just the Coach of the Year; she is the Coach of a Lifetime.

HadleyCarr BRONZE, East Bernard, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
I am so proud to have had this published on the website and to receive and Editor's Choice Award. Thank you so much Teen Ink!