Educator of the Year-- Mr. Vento | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year-- Mr. Vento

By MaiyaW SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
MaiyaW SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Math was a challenging subject for me to wrap my brain around--it never clicked. I knew going into eighth grade that it could be different after hearing, “You have Mr. Vento?! You’re so lucky!” from the former eighth graders.

On the first day of school, I walked into Mr. Vento’s math class and sat down, unsure of what to expect. The second he stood up and said, “Good afternoon!” his mood made the room smile. Mr. Vento’s energy was vibrant and he always had something to say--positive, sarcastic, or just downright funny. He was like an energetic little kid trapped inside of an adult body.

Not only was Mr. Vento humorous, but he also always gave fantastic advice. He cared about each of his students succeeding in math, as well as in life. If I didn't understand how to calculate the slope of a line using the point slope formula, not a problem--as long as I knew how to stay organized and ask questions. His love for educating students was so apparent due to his loud, entertaining, and dedicated personality that made me feel like I could do anything I put my mind to.

Unlike the majority of teachers I’ve had, Mr. Vento cared about each and everyone’s individual lives outside of school--and not just just their success in the subject he taught. He made an effort to know about what sports we played, what television shows we watched, and what music we liked. Mr. Vento could tell instantly if someone was having an off day, or felt down, and he took the time to offer advice or lighten the mood by playing a game or watching a funny video to take your mind off of the negativity.

Each student in our sixth hour class had diverse talents and he was the greatest at making sure everyone’s talents or skills didn’t go unnoticed. For example, he gave comical nicknames to some and begged others to do flips in class. Our class of about 18 people was supportive of one another; we were like a family.

Mr. Vento understood that everyone had a different way of learning and understanding--therefore, he took the time to sit down, one on one, and go over things. He was passionate about the subject he taught, and he turned math problems into real life problems that we could relate to. For example, he used things like football and television shows to help us better relate to what was being taught. Things like that made it much easier for me to comprehend his lessons. He made sure I knew that not being able to do math as quickly as other people didn’t make me any less of a person--which was extremely reassuring to hear.

Mr. Vento challenged me and made me work hard to achieve what I wanted--an understanding of math and a positive view on life. He reminded me--and his other students--that success isn’t just going to be handed on a silver platter. This pushed me to work hard and allowed me to take pride in what I accomplished.

He knew when to make jokes, when to have fun, and when to get down to business. For example, we’d be in the middle of a math lesson and I’d hear, “Niels, come up here and solve this equation.” Mr. Vento would take a short pause. “Actually, if you can jump out this window and run all the way to that picnic table and back in under 10 seconds you get a Mountain Dew.” The whole class would get excited and cheer Niels on. Not only did our class have so much fun, but we also knew how to focus back in when necessary.

After all he did for our class, our class decided to give back to him at the end of the year. Each student in our sixth hour class brought in $10 to buy him a gift card to thank him for all he’s done for us. How often does it occur that an entire class of 18 students likes a teacher enough to buy them a gift?!

Mr. Vento was the greatest educator I’ve had due to his exciting energy, his love for his job, and his all-around genuineness. Ever since eighth grade math, math has been easier. Mr. Vento taught me how to approach concepts in different ways. I will never forget the memories made in Mr. Vento’s sixth hour Algebra class, or the life-lessons I learned that year. Never did I ever think I’d be able to say I’ve loved a math class…until eighth grade.