Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

March 18, 2015
By Mia203 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Mia203 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As a first grader dealing with the struggles of ADD, I felt lost and alone. At the time, my family and I were not aware of my condition. In school, I couldn’t understand the typical first grade material, I couldn’t understand how I was to learn how to read, and I couldn’t understand why I was so different. Why couldn’t I read like the other kids? Why couldn’t things come easy to me? Why couldn’t I just be normal?
These were the things running through my little six year old head. Then I discovered horses, and with horses, came the people who I now consider family.
I was six years old, at a big white barn filled with rows of world champion horses. I stood next to one in particular--Bogey. My mother, her dear friend, and her horse trainers (Andy and Lynda Freseth), supervised as my love for horses unraveled. Now--10 years later--I have had two horses of my own, showed in four world championships, and the biggest achievement yet--I can learn with the other kids. I learned to read soon after I met them, and concentrating over all became easier because of what they taught me about myself. 
None of this could have been possible without the unconditional love and support from Andy and Mrs. Lynda--my lifelong horse trainers. This is why I am nominating them for this award. Over the course of the last ten years, I have not only learned skills on how to ride, but I’ve also learned about myself.
I am nominating Andy and Lynda Freseth not just because of who they are as people, but also because of how they have taught me to become a kind, caring, and dedicated person.
Every week, I look forward to Wednesday--the day I get to ride. I walk into the barn and the first thing I hear is the warm southern accent greeting me from her office, “Hello, Miss Mia!” 
Andy and Lynda push me to reach my full potential. Mrs. Lynda shouts and encourages from the ground--it is almost as if she is riding up top with me. And Andy gives quiet but firm directions. And altogether, I learn something new each ride. Maybe it’s what I need to do myself to improve--or maybe it is a new way to handle a new situation (horse related or not)--but either way, they make things fun. Together they are like Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl, there to help better me in any way possible.
One day, I came to the barn with a really bad stomach ache. But there was NO way I was going to miss my lesson for some stupid illness. I remember telling Mrs. Lynda that I did not feel well and she said, “Ok, well we are going to ride doubles today.” It was so incredibly fun. By the end of the lesson, I had forgotten about my stomach and actually felt better. It is times like these that I cherish them the most.
Andy and Lynda Freseth brought out the dedicated and determined part of me I never knew existed. And they also got me through one of the toughest times of my life in and out of school--conquering my ADD. So for that, I thank Andy and Mrs. Lynda for always being there for me and teaching me to be the person I am today.