Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By kayl_kv SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
kayl_kv SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

40 minutes. Every day. Constant frustration. After a long first semester, I was not doing my best. I was struggling, filled with confusion, and lacking motivation. Did I have what it takes to get a good grade? I never thought I would look forward to a chemistry class. Starting second semester, something changed. I shuffled into a room of unfamiliar faces. A tall, confident woman stood in front of the class and greeted me as I entered. Mrs. Koch’s passion grabbed everyone’s attention as soon as she started teaching.
Science has never been a strength of mine. From teacher to teacher, I got lost in the monotone lectures. Mrs. Koch is different -- bursting with energy and enthusiasm in her voice. It is clear that she is highly educated in chemistry, yet she can explain in a paced, fluent, and clear manner that beginners can understand. By creating an environment where all students can learn, no matter how they learn, everyone has an equal opportunity to get a good grade. She teaches not only verbally, but visually. She’s always moving around the room; one minute she’s pointing to the tremendous periodic table, next she’s walking down the aisle of desks displaying a tactile example. Mrs. Koch attentively involves all students, answers any questions, and then applies the knowledge.
Mrs. Koch is not only an intriguing teacher, but she’s also an approachable, amiable, and ambitious person.  Her patience and flexibility helps students them no matter the circumstance. By taking personal interest in her students’ lives, inside of school and out, she always does more than what’s expected.
Her loyalty to her class never fails and her determination helps everyone succeed. Her temper is never lost; she is always calm, and her sense of humor makes learning chemistry enjoyable and engaging. Mrs. Koch is like a mother -- kind and empathetic, yet helpful and motivating. By challenging and encouraging me, I strive to do my best in her class and never doubt myself.
Because of Mrs. Koch, I found my clarity and ditched the confusion. Where as I used to constantly check the clock, the time now flies by. Mrs. Koch is an important educator in my life because she is enthusiastic, patient, and friendly. There’s no doubt that Mrs. Koch will have a smile on her face and be ready to teach as soon as the bell rings. You never know what to expect in her chemistry class, but one thing's for sure. It’s always effective.