Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By mol567 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
mol567 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Being on an animal and not knowing what he is thinking makes my heart race. I have been riding for seven years at Knollwood Farm LTD, and my instructor has been by my side since my first lesson. She is well educated in saddleseat, which is a type of English riding and she is willing to get to know the riders personally.  Having my instructor know me personally makes me feel important and able to have a connection with her.   

Ann Wilt supports me through each lesson and show. She has seen me grow as a person as well as a horseback rider. I do believe that some of my growth has been from Ann from the past years I have been riding. Her passion for every rider and for the horses show. She thinks like a horse, always knowing what the horse is going to do next.  She pushes the riders to be the best they can with each lesson. Not letting riders get away with cutting corners in the arena, pattern mistakes, and or with the reins being too loose. Wanting the riders to learn from their mistakes. At times I have to do patterns three or four times before I can keep going with my lesson.
Ann puts trust into her helpers who help during the night of each week and weekend. Puting in trust that horses will be ready for lessons by the time she is ready to teach. Each night, the helpers have a list of chores they are expected to complete. These chores include feed, garbage, watering and taking care of the horses before and after lessons.  She believes in the helpers to teach the beginners and tiny tots when they first start to ride, so she can teach the group lessons and privates. I have learned to be patient with beginners and go at the pace that the rider is going to teach them well.   
She is patient about her job and makes the best of each lesson. I remember her saying, “You're being too nice” in lessons. During those lessons, I learned I needed to be headstrong and in charge. I never thought being too nice would have such an impact on my riding.  She taught me control, leadership and trust. She taught me leadership skills and communication skills that will help me in my future with becoming an elementary and special education teacher. I have learned how to be in control of the horse and not let the horse take control of me.
I have had the honor to have Ann ask me to help with birthday parties, HAWS groups,  parent classes and helping with shows. One of the most rewarding experience I had was working at the barn in the summer being a camp counselor. I learned how to teach riders how to groom and tack horses.  I enjoyed getting to know my outstanding instructor and all that she has done for me. I know I will be back to ride during my college years because horseback riding had such an impact  in my life and Ann Wilt was apart of that experience.