Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By megan7elizabeth SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
megan7elizabeth SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

You have to be odd to be number one - Dr. Seuss

In a society where gender roles are reinforced, it’s hard for a girl to keep interest in subjects like video game design, desktop publishing, and web design--these are viewed as careers for guys. However, if a girl is lucky enough to be able to ignore those gender roles and keep that passion and enthusiasm, then the next step is finding a teacher who can not only ignore those trivial, discriminatory roles, but also teach those subjects in an intriguing, informable way.

Michael Dahle is a lively and witty teacher who is a teenager at heart. Not only does he do a tremendous job at teaching the material, but he also does a phenomenal job at connecting with his students. He does so by treating us as equals instead of like children -- and that’s exactly what makes his classes amusing.
      In one of his classes, Video Game Design, Mr. Dahle goes from teaching us how to create a “Ping-Pong” game one minute, to discussing his thoughts on popular games with the class the next. It’s entertaining when there are non-serious, conflicting opinions between the class and Mr. Dahle. Usually the student is the one that gets heated because Mr. Dahle’s clever comebacks leave them speechless. However, they don’t stay mad for too long and end up laughing at whatever he said. Being in one of his classes is like going to a comedy show -- everything is unexpected, but there will be laughing.
     Mr. Dahle’s personality is what makes his classes exciting. In my first semester class, Desktop Publishing, we learned to use how to use Adobe programs, such as Photoshop, InDesign, and Flash, by doing projects. On these projects, we had basic guidelines to follow, but still freedom. A few students liked to use pictures of Mr. Dahle. Because he has a good sense of humor and they were technically doing the assignment, Mr. Dahle laughed at them and sometimes even gave them other ideas of things to do. Lucky for him, he has those students again in his second semester class, and they like to make their games with a Mr. Dahle cameo.
     Those kinds of fun moments, along with him treating everyone the same, definitely make going to his class a privilege. I’m thankful he’s able to keep a group of teenagers interested in the topics he’s teaching, and also that he allows his students to have fun. Personally, it’s really hard for me to keep interest in classes where one has to start learning things from scratch and move slowly through them. Despite that, however, I can pay attention and understand everything Mr. Dahle teaches us and still be just as interested.
     I’m also thankful that, being a girl, he doesn’t act like I and other girls can’t do anything the guys are doing because it doesn’t “fit the social norm.” Thank you, Mr. Dahle, for being both a fun-loving teacher that knows the love of gaming is universal and not just exclusively for males, but also for just being a cool guy.