My Favorite Educator | Teen Ink

My Favorite Educator

By Bailey1998 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Bailey1998 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Walking into class the first day was terrifying. I didn’t know anyone. But then Mrs. Charlesworth walked over to me and comforted me.
“I’m Mrs. Charlesworth!” She smiled.
She made me feel welcomed. She seemed so passionate about being a teacher. She walked over to all kids and greeted herself with such a smile that brightened up the room. This was when I knew this fourth grade would be great!
Mrs. Charlesworth didn’t care about being silly during class. She was only worried about the student not being bored and having as much fun as possible. She always made jokes and talked about her love for Harry Potter. She made going to school exciting -- like a child waiting in line for an ice cream cone. I’d wake up each morning with the determination of being to class early just to see Mrs. Charlesworth and the jokes that would then again, put another smile on my face.
One day she threw a pizza party. I cannot even say why, because it honestly was just for the heck-of-it. All I had to worry about was showing up…and saving room for the pizza, of course. It was also almost Wednesday, meaning popcorn day was coming up. I had no money, but promised my sister I would get her some. Mrs. Charlesworth told me she would buy me two bags of popcorn; one for me and one for my sister. My face lit up with joy, knowing she was there for me.
Mrs. Charlesworth would never hesitate if I had a question on the homework assignments. I was never afraid to ask her for help. I came to school once with a question on the reading we have been doing and she offered to skip her lunch just to help me!
Mrs. Charlesworth was like my other mother. She made me feel happy and special. She was there to help me through all my rough times. She was there to help me experience my happy times. She was there through it all and that’s why Mrs. Charlesworth should get this award not just for her sake, but also for others.