Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By AHSJr SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
AHSJr SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

I find school dull, tedious, and uninteresting. However, there is one subject that compelled me to take an interest in Social Studies. And that is thanks to my seventh grade geography teacher, Mrs. Matel who is a fun loving, middle aged, blonde teacher who always brought her classes to life. 
The first day of 7th grade meant switching teachers, harder classes, and more responsibilities. And as the year began, I started to notice there was one class I looked forward to. Everyday, my mindset was the same--just try to get through the other classes before hers. And when that time came, I always had my books ready, and was on my way to Geography. 
The beginning of the class was always the same. There would be two trivia questions on the board, and after you answer them you put a slip with the answers in a box. She would draw two names and if you got both of the questions right you would get candy. That would be followed by CNN student news which would get us involved in what was going on around the world, too. So everyday she eased us into the lesson, with some fun trivia and a video.
The chapter that I most remember from her class was about Canada, and how Mrs. Matel always told us that if she could, she would move their in a heartbeat. She taught us everything from the urban areas of British Columbia to the eskimos in the Nunavut province. Learning about the eskimos made me realize how different of lives people live. Before, It didn’t sink in that everyone had it as good as us.
But the best days in her class was when she would bring in our her son, Jimmy. Every time Jimmy came in the class would feel more like a recess, because the activities were always fun and she seemed to be a little looser with her son around.
Because of Mrs. Matel, I have found my favorite class in school, and a possible major in college, social studies.