Teacher of the Year | Teen Ink

Teacher of the Year

By Colin McBride BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Colin McBride BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

The worst feeling is walking into school the first day. Not knowing if you’re in the right place, if you made the right choice for classes, and definitely not wanting summer to be over. It was a warm 90 degree day outside, a day that would’ve been well spent on the golf course or going on the lake with no worries. Instead, it was a day that felt like the longest day of my life; it was the first day of junior year.
When I checked my schedule I realized that I was going to have to start my day off with Spanish, the class that I was least looking forward to. When I walked into the classroom I didn’t know what to expect, but I saw Señora Psket, the most energetic, positive, outgoing teacher I have ever had.
What I look for in an Educator is someone with good energy, motivational, positive attitude, and willingness to help me. Señora Psket contains all of these qualities and much more. She is very open and outgoing, just as I am, and she made me look forward going to one of my least favorite classes. She always made the class exciting and entertaining, which can be hard to do when you’re trying to teach high schoolers Spanish. She has about as much excitement as a five year old on Christmas morning.
Going through high school I have struggled with Spanish compared to my other classes. At first I was timid to ask for help, but Señora Psket was very outgoing and willing to help which made it all much easier. Another trait about Señora is she likes to have fun with students; however, she doesn’t let them take advantage of her. She isn’t afraid to get down on students when they are slacking, goofing off too much, or when they are being disrespectful.
Ever since I walked into her classroom the first day of junior year we have developed a great relationship. Even though I no longer have her as a teacher when we see each other in the halls she is always asking how I am and what I am up to. I would have to say Señora Psket is one of the few teachers here at Arrowhead that is willing to have a relationship and sit down and get to know students.
I think that having a strong teacher-student connection is rare to find in high school especially here at Arrowhead because of the large student body. Señora is hard working, dedicated, and a positive person to be around. I am very happy to have had a teacher as great as her not only to help me progress in spanish but also teach me some life lessons along the way.