Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

March 13, 2015
By basketball7 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
basketball7 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Educator of the Year Essay
I never thought after I finished a class in highschool that I would want to take it over again. But that changed after I took health. Health class felt like a family reunion and I got an A easily. But it wasn’t the content that was the fun part, it was how the class was taught to us.
The teacher, Mr. Hoch, made it entertaining to be in health class. Mr. Hoch is a short but buff guy who can be found walking in the hallways. His smile is like a shooting star, hard to miss. He made health interesting by giving us innovative activities to do and incorporated ridiculous videos into the content. He taught health, gym classes, and he coached. Currently, he is a special education teacher at Arrowhead.
And I couldn’t wait to go to Mr. Hoch’s health class. Being in the class was like going to the dentist and coming home after being on laughing gas. I have numerous positive memories from from Club Arrowhead, a workout gym class. I don’t know how I enjoyed the class (because I definitely wasn’t that strong) but I found myself in better shape afterwards. I realized now that the class was so amusing because it was taught by Mr. Hoch as well.
He made sure all the students were meeting their personal goals and pushed us to become stronger. In addition to this, he told jokes and brightened up our days when we were sad. I remember him always telling the kids who were just starting to workout “Everybody’s gotta start somewhere.” He could tell if you were sad and would sit down and talk to you just like a good friend.  I had a pleasant time in both classes Mr. Hoch taught.
Mr. Hoch knows how to turn a boring health lesson into an interesting and simple game. He made sure to motivate all his students’ to learn and as a teacher that’s the most important thing you can do. You know you have a good teacher when you wish you take their class over again. That’s why I nominate John Hoch as the educator of the year.