Drop & Give Me 20! | Teen Ink

Drop & Give Me 20!

By TKirk SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
TKirk SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

Have you ever had someone who in the middle of going to your classes will interrupt what you're doing and make you do any type of physical exercise. Well director Waninger loved pushing us as much as much as he could. He would push us to limits and more whether it was physically, emotionally, or intellectually. Have us do a fitness chart, give us some traits of military training, show us strict discipline, and excellence in everything we do. Inside and out of school. Never have I been pushed or expected of that much ever! We called it hell; he called it Tactical Operations.

Would you ever expect taking orders from someone who had their outfit clean and pressed and tucked, with a clean cut head and shaved face and who towered over you with a non expressed face and not blinking at all? Maybe in later years, but in high school that's the last thing you'd think. In tac-ops you would get used to it very quick and even after you would slowly become him. If you wanted to or not. Director Waninger was a man that demanded perfection at all times even though he knew at many times that would not be that the thing he gets. As long as we did the things to the best of our abilities didn't mind. If he did, we would certainly hear about it the following day.

After school we would have a meeting in his class on what were doing or on things we would later do. On some days we would go outside and work on our military training. Such as marching, cadences, rank knowledge, and more. Other days we would get our daily PT (physical training) in. We would also come out and volunteer all over the area. One week we would volunteer for the mud run, next we were jumping in freezing cold water known as The Polar Bear Plunge, and having team building activities like dodge ball.

He would watch everything you do. He heard and seen all. If you knew something and told no one, he found out. No one knows how, but he does. If i got a low grade he wouldn't leave my side and would make sure I knew that at the end of the day i owed push ups. Altogether i think I had to owe him a possible one thousand push ups. All for having uniform infractions, grades, missing things, and others.

Director Waninger was a teacher, but he was much more than that to me. He did teach physics, but he taught me how to push for things. Freshmen year was the hardest year for me, yet he got me through it. Staying after school having him help me with everything. I didn't really had anyone to talk to about personal/home things or have someone give me a way of something I would have never even thought of achieving. He let me talk to him about whatever. He was a teacher, a director, a role model, and a good friend.