Who knew that US History could be so Interesting? | Teen Ink

Who knew that US History could be so Interesting?

By SatoruSaito SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
SatoruSaito SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

"People die when they are killed!" (Fate/Stay)

There we were, me and my comrades were sitting behind our barricade. The enemies bullets rained over us and peppered the ground. This was our last chance, we wouldn’t have another opportunity. I quickly conversed with my allies on what we were going to, and with a nod, we got up and charged.
    The bullets whizzed past us as we ducked out from our cover, attempting to make a mad dash to the next. The enemy’s base wasn’t far from ours, but it felt like it took an eternity to get there. The storm of enemy bullets made some of my comrades drop like flies, and by the end of it, there were only a few of us left. As we dashed around the corner of the last cover we could see, it was over. All of us became saturated with bullets and fell to the ground. It was then that our US History teacher Mr. Caulfield said “And that is why WWI was one of the deadliest wars.”
    We shook off the paper balls that had been our enemies bullets, got up, walked behind their desk barricade, and shook hands. They had won the battle, and all of us now had a deeper and more clear understanding of why WWI was so deadly, and how many people lost their lives while making little progress towards the enemy. Any other History class that I could’ve taken, wouldn’t have made the same impact on my learning that Mr. Caulfields did.
    Unlike most other classes, Mr. Caulfield would go above and beyond to help us understand our work and what we were studying. We would do reenactments of important parts of history such as a war or a debate, and while these seem just like fun at first, they greatly expanded our knowledge on the subject at hand, without us even knowing it. They gave us a deeper understanding of what really took place during those situations in history, and why things turned out the way they did. It put a fun and more interesting spin on what was normally a boring class for me, and I actually started getting invested in what we were doing.
    While I am sad to say that I am no longer in Mr. Caulfields class (due to the way my schedule is set up), I learned a lot more that I ever would had in another class. He took what would’ve been originally a boring topic, and spiced it up with some flare, reigniting my passion to learn about history. Leaving me to feel as though my experiences with Mr. Caulfield will remain with me for the rest of my educational career.

Mr. Caulfield will be a teacher thats teaching will stick with me for a long time.

JRaye PLATINUM said...
JRaye PLATINUM, Dorr, Michigan

"If you build your house far enough away from Trouble, then Trouble will never find you."

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said, 'I just don't care.'?"

I had a really good US History teacher, who unfortunately moved to the Philippines :/ He was a student teacher, went through WWII with us, made it all so INTERESTING! Like, these events were what shaped what are nation is now. It's really incredible to think and learn about, especially the way he taught it. Teachers who are really engaged in what they teach are very special to me. So many kids groan at the thought of school, getting up in the morning, sitting through class, studying - what we forget is how really awesome and enlightening learning can BE. :)