James Parsons- Automotive Technology Teacher | Teen Ink

James Parsons- Automotive Technology Teacher

January 29, 2015
By MoparMan SILVER, Hockessin, Delaware
MoparMan SILVER, Hockessin, Delaware
5 articles 0 photos 2 comments

 The typical person will encounter a multitude of teachers in their life. Some of these teachers end up forgotten but, a select few get remembered as someone that changed another’s life. These teachers deserve to go down in the history books as something more than a teacher. They can be considered role models, heroes, mentors, and even idols. These teachers create a big impact on an individual’s life that will never be forgotten. These teachers can help with a kid’s decision about what they want to do in life, and that is exactly what Mr. Parsons did for me.
Mr. Parsons isn’t exactly a typical teacher. Instead of pushing and forcing students to do their work, he likes to see them take initiative and complete tasks on their own (or in a group if necessary). This builds up leadership skills for kids. Students see that a job needs to be completed out in the work shop and the ones who care enough will go out there and complete the task. Mr. Parsons also prefers to give students a hands-on experience, rather than making them complete book work. Not only does this provide students with a better learning experience, it also allows them to bond with Mr. Parsons on a personal level.
Some, including myself, consider Mr. Parsons to be more of a friend than a teacher. Talking to Mr. Parsons is just like talking to any old friend. He can joke around with his classes and be an all around great guy. He will help out any of his students with whatever it is that they need help with. Whether it’s car trouble or even school work, Mr. Parsons will do his best to help out anyone. The fact that Mr. Parsons will help anyone is just one way that he shows his dedication.
When a teacher comes in to school every day that they physically can, it speaks volumes about that teacher and his/her dedication. Mr. Parsons is capable of coming to work every day that he can even though he lives about an hour away from school. On top of that, he comes in early every day. When the students and he are working on a car, he will not stop until it is fixed and fixed correctly. Mr. Parsons will go out of his way to help out anyone who needs it. If that doesn’t describe dedication, I don’t know what does.
A good teacher is never just a teacher. A good teacher is dedicated and becomes more than just a teacher to their students. Mr. Parsons helped me to expand on my knowledge in the automotive field and increased my interest in the job opportunities available in that field. Mr. Parsons has parties every year where his top students get to enjoy pizza, wings, soda, and a movie. Mr. Parsons is a great teacher but, more importantly, a great friend, and that is why I believe James Parsons is the educator of the year.