My Coach Is My "Dad" | Teen Ink

My Coach Is My "Dad"

By WRXderek04 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
WRXderek04 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

Have you ever had a person in your life that played a larger role than supposed love ones? Being a foster child has a few downfalls, of which the biggest is feeling lonely and that nobody cares about my well-being. High school changed my negative outlook on life.
It all started in the spring of ninth grade. I couldn't decide if I should join a sport alongside of band. In March, I went with the option of doing both. I then tried out for volleyball and actually liked it! What I liked most about volleyball was actually the coach. Coach Lee was a high energy man, who not only coached volleyball, but taught world history for sophomores.
Coach Lee became the favorite man in my life by the end of my freshman year. Forward to present and I'm a junior who will be going out for my third year of volleyball in a month. I have kept in close contact with Mr. Lee throughout my sophomore year (which was very interesting thanks to world history) and a lot this year. Coach Lee is dedicated and caring.
Coach has a mandatory study hall twice a week during volleyball season to make sure his players do not put their extraciriculars over their academics. As far as teaching goes, I haven't met a more committed man than Mr. Lee. I mean, he even bangs his head into a cabinet every year for an legit lesson.
Mr. Lee even persuades his students to be on time, with two things: candy and lectures. Coach will give a lecture for just about anything, but the most common towards students is the "late to class" speech. The positive though, you won't want to be late again, it's kinda embarrassing, plus you get a piece of candy if your on time! Even our school recognizes his efforts to be a great role model. Every year Mr. Lee gets a student teacher to bestow his magic upon. I haven't met another teacher who gets one every year.
Don't get it twisted, Mr. Lee is more than an educator. He has supported me in things outside of school on his own time for pressing matters that made me anxious. Overall Coach has meant more to me than a teacher who only teaches me enough to pass to the next grade. Thank you Coach Lee!