Educator of the year | Teen Ink

Educator of the year

By Adellev BRONZE, Boca Raton, Florida
Adellev BRONZE, Boca Raton, Florida

In late August I was really excited about finally getting my 8th grade schedule. I looked through it and I had realized that I had a new math teacher, ,her name was Mrs.Springer. I had never seen her around the school or heard her name in the past years so I assumed she was new. I never really liked math or the math teachers I had in the past so I was praying I would get a good on this year. I was really nervous on the first day of school because I didn’t know what to expect. I wanted to start of my last year in middle school right and I wanted to get good grades. 
On the first day I sat down in a seat close to the board. I realized my class was really small. I was in a class with only three 8th  graders and the rest of the kids were 7th graders. I looked up as Mrs. Springer as she began to introduce herself to us. She asked us about our summer vacation and she told us about hers and how she had just moved to Florida from Cape Cod. I started feeling more comfortable in class as weeks passed. So far, I had learned a lot more about math than I did in the years before. “Mrs.Springers class is so fun” I told my friends I even signed up for math lab during trimester 1. I remember how I always dreaded going to math in the past years but now I don’t. In Mrs.Springers class we sometimes bring whiteboards to the reading garden and have our math class outside. We also have a fun time inside the room we get up and walk around and do practice problems on the board. We even came up with some ideas to remember equation and vocabulary that will now always stick in my head. One day Mrs.Springer took us outside and made us do math problems with chalk on the concrete outside her classroom.
Mrs.Springer understands and listens to what I say and if I’m ever confused she is more than happy to help me out and show me a couple of problems so I  understand. She shows us different ways of doing problems so that we could pick a technique that works best for us. I really appreciate that Mrs.Springer let’s you retake a quiz or test if you’re a hardworking student who gets good grades, pays attention in class, and turns homework in on time. She is always in the classroom on time and is prepared for class. Sometimes Mrs.Springer will give an example that includes real life situations and we all get a little bit of topic and our whole class starts sharing stories but Mrs.Springer will get us right back on track. She also has extra help almost every morning and sometimes in the afternoon so whenever someone needs help pr has a question she’s there to help. I’ve always wanted a teacher like her because she’s supportive and doesn’t give up on her students.
Mrs.Springer is motivating, funny, and nice and she always has creative ideas to help us with math. I always enjoy being in her class even on the long days. I’m so happy I got her as a math teacher this year because I’m doing very good in math and I’m happy I have such a good teacher that doesn’t give up on me. These are the reasons I would like to nominate Mrs.Springer for educator of the year.