Educator of the year | Teen Ink

Educator of the year

November 9, 2014
By 5spillman BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
5spillman BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

little did i know that my school life was about to change. standing in the hallway, thinking who is this crazy looking blonde woman that my teacher was introducing me to. Mrs maynard, i stood there thinking to myself “i don't know about this one shes nuts.” little did i know i would rely on this craziness to hold me together as a friend and a teacher. i was just a little kid with my life crumbling beneath my feet. i just lost the best man i knew, my Gunka (Thats my grandpa Lodes to everyone else), my parents where getting divorced and i was a mess. Then came Mrs Maynard, crazy just crazy, She lighted my life and made me laugh every day.
Mitchie spillman she would scream across the hallway. You see Mrs Maynard was the teacher for the at risk children, yes that was me, the ids in families that were going through hard times. to me this felt like the end of the world. But maynard, as we called her, taught me to be happy again. she was there to help you with your homework and e a guidance counselor, thank god for that cuz i needed it. i learned that teachers could be more that just teachers, they could be your best friend. from that first day of fourth grade to the end of eighth grade. every day for four years i saw her every time i was free. i was free to be me. then came the rats, no for real rats lots and lots of them. maynard had the entire room a maze for them. broke the ice for everyone. One sitting on my shoulder while me and Maynard worked on homework. having that warm little furball on my shoulder gave me comfort to do anything. Then the little bastard peed on my book, “back in the cage with you.” “How do i explain this to my math teacher,” “A rat peed on my homework i swear”. Maynard, what a nut! She was my friend, My joy, My salvation and she was my teacher.
Maynard look at me now. Im a senior in high school, six foot tall with whiskers. I still got that goofy smile and maa still won't let me have a rat. Believe me i've tried to convince her. with all this said i have one more thing to say, thank you mrs Maynard for being the best teacher i've ever had.