Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

October 15, 2014
By HER15 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
HER15 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The things you most want to avoid are the things that make you feel the greatest when you actually do them." -unknown


Educator Of The Year

Ever since I was little I had a learning disability. I remember waking up Monday thru  Friday and thinking to myself “Pleaseee let this day go by fast!!” I always struggled in school and I hated myself for it but there was someone very special in my life that always made me feel smart and  worthwhile. That person is my educator, my hero, my mom.
My mom has always been there for me through the good and bad. I remember the first year of kindergarten.  I noticed everyday when we would do some reading, spelling, or math that I would have the most difficult times. After that year was over the teachers and my parents decided to hold me back a year because of it. You would not believe how stupid I felt after hearing I would have to go back through another difficult year. This time, however,  things were different, and a little better My mom told me I will be in a class for extra help when I would need it for homework, test, and quizzes and everything would be easier for me. That year I had to go through multiple reading tests, I'm surprised I’m not reading at a college level.
Throughout high school, I have experienced many ups and downs but I’ve always had the support I needed to get me through. I have made it to my senior year and am able to graduate early. The opportunity I have wasn’t because I was in easy classes or I got lots of help from other teachers. It was because of the four little words my mom told me before and after school every day of the year “ I’m proud of you!”  These word may seem small to you but to me, they put a huge mark on my heart and in my brain. I wouldn’t be where I am now without the support, love, and care of my mother. I love her with all my heart and I’m very proud of her too. 
I’ve been told from so many students that I’m stupid, retarded, disabled. I lost friends because of my learning problem. I was told from a friend that they can’t be friends with someone that’s stupid and reads at a second grade reading level. That hurt me so much. To help me get through this, my mom told me “Don't worry about what others think of you because as long as you try your hardest then you will succeed”.  She has always watched over me like a mother lion watches over her cubs. No matter the distance, she is always around. 
From everything she has accomplished in her life, from getting married to a great man, to having two great daughters and one amazing one (me), to becoming a manager at the American Legion, she has followed her dreams. Now the only dream left that she has is for me to be living my dream as well.  my dream is to one day own my own horse ranch and one day become the amazing wife, mother, work she is now. I am so proud of my mom and I don't know what I would without her. She means everything to me and that is why she’s not just my educator of the year but my educator for the rest of my life.
Thank you mom for all that you do for our family. You truly are the best educator, hero, mom that anyone could ever ask for and I’m lucky enough to get all that.There will always be up’s and down to our relationship but I want you to always remember no matter what I’m proud to call you my mom and I love you!!!!!


The author's comments:

This piece tells you all about how I feel about my educator of the year.