Educator of the year | Teen Ink

Educator of the year

By Jess614 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Jess614 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

It was the first day of junior year and I was not looking forward to English classes. But everything changed when I walked into Mrs. Munkwitz’s room fourth hour. It was the happy-go-lucky vibe she gave off. It made me look at every teacher in a different way. I said to myself that day, “maybe this year I’ll like English.”

Munk was an average height with blonde hair. Her class each day was right before my lunch. You know how hard it is to keep your attention when you can eat next? But each day, somehow she kept our attention. There was this tan wood handmade podium in the front middle of the classroom. Each day, she would walk up and stand behind it, at that time we knew she was going to tell us what we were going to do. Whether it was a game, a movie, or a new project, she knew what to do.

I fell in love with English that year. The way she taught us was finally a way that I understood. When she taught, it was intriguing and fun. Munk was the first teacher I had who taught both verbally and hands-on. She did this so that each student was able to succeed. To be honest, that was the first year I have ever read a book assigned and did not make up my papers as I wrote. The first book I read was The Great Gatsby. I learned that love is stronger than any bond, also that love will make you do crazy things. The paper I wrote about the book I received an A on it.

She was the first laugh each day. No matter if it was a stupid joke or just telling us about an embarrassing story, she would make us laugh. She was as warm as hot chocolate and as sweet as candy. Mrs. Munk was one of the nicest teachers I have ever meet. She wasn’t the type of teacher who only cared about school--she cared about you too. I know from personal experience that Mrs. Munk would try to make you feel comfortable in her classroom. To me she was the very first teacher that understood my problems. I have a heart problem that makes me feel so sick and I can not keep my attention on anything. She understood that when I felt sick there was no way anything was going to happen. She gave me extra time and extra help when ever she noticed that I was falling behind.  

Not only is Mrs. Munk a teacher, but she is also a wife and a volunteer. She runs a club through Arrowhead called Warhawk Interact. Not only does she impact the kids in her class, but she also impacts people outside of school. Her club is an international organization of service and social clubs. Her club is about teaching kids leadership, about how to be a responsible citizen, and about increasing understanding and peace.

Through everything that year, Munk gave me a new look at English. She showed me that English isn’t just a class that is required, but that it’s a true way to express yourself. In her class, I did the unexpected--I read the books and put my heart into the papers. Mrs. Munk by far deserves educator of the year.