A Mathematical Gem | Teen Ink

A Mathematical Gem

By jlp247 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
jlp247 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

It’s the start of senior year and the black metal doors open up to nerve-filled hallways. I'm lost like a five-year-old straying from their parents at the Brookfield Square Mall. My acquaintances from last year had come and gone. And I was left starting at zero. But I knew I still had one friend left to help me make it through this year: Mr.Urban.
The first week of school, the mornings came quickly like a dreaded visit to the doctor. My alarm clock rang at 6:00am and I rolled out of bed. As time flew by, I parked my black SUV in the front row of the student parking lot. I found myself lingering the halls wanting guidance for the first day. There is one place I can go. Room N185. My safe place, my school nest and my place of laughter.
I walked into Mr. Urban’s classroom and was greeted by his boisterous tone. “Pfitz!” he called out. His words echoed through the classroom like the result of calling out on a mountain top. This was the nickname he gave me in Advanced Algebra during junior year. Today, he wore a Chaps plaid shirt, khaki pants, and reading glasses.  He advised me to get out of my comfort zone and search out new friends. But my occasional negative self esteem assured me that it was not going to be easy. Mr. Urban persisted that it was a process I had to complete myself. He was an encourager as enthusiastic as the overly involved football parents calling out plays from the bleachers.
Mr. Urban is a teacher, a mentor and a father. Yet, during his 40 minute prep time, he is able to help me with Functions problems. Being a computing calculator, he solves even the toughest of problems. And even though he isn’t my math teacher this year, he will help me no matter what.  
Not only does he teach math, but he also teaches logic, life skills, and preparation. Advanced Algebra was the first math class that everything made sense to me. The meaningless jargon defined as a word problem became something purposeful with a connection to life.
The humor he expressed caused laughs to travel Arrowhead’s echoing halls. I frequently ask him about my career outlook and he once suggested I become a nurse. He knew what to suggest because he took the time to get to know who I am. I am patient and supportive. 
During exams last year, he showed concern when my mom was in the hospital. He told me to update him on her status. All of this, shows how he goes out of his way to make a positive lasting impression with each student. 
This confusing vortex they call high school, has all made sense thanks to my mentor, my educator, and my rolemodel. Mr.Urban.
He is a teacher I will remember forever and has made an impact on my life. He is retiring this year, and Arrowhead is truly losing a gem.