Teacher of the Year | Teen Ink

Teacher of the Year

By _Jord SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
_Jord SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin

Mr. Streufert

This is the first year I’ve had Mr. Streufert as a teacher, and something about the way he taught AP Physics clicked in my head and caught my attention. He has hilarious discussions that somehow related to physics and I couldn’t ask for much more. He acts like more of a friend, teaching rather than being stern.
If you ever struggled, which everyone did, he would connect the topic to something related to every high schooler--like football, volleyball, and gym class. Upon entering room 105 hilariousity, enthusiasm, and learning ensues.
You might think a course such as physics is already daunting enough, but college level sounds ridiculous. And that was my impression walking into that room on the first day. But Mr. Streufert reassured us it wouldn’t be as dreadful as it seemed. But obviously nobody believed him at first. Until surely enough, months later, we dominated physics. He is an electrical engineer and he definitely knows what he’s doing.
I appreciate how he never took physics too seriously. It was always a relaxing environment with open discussions. He made sure every single person he taught inside his 20 by 20 room was brilliant and was his top priority.
Outside of the classroom, you could head over to the engineering room after school and find Mr. Streufert dedicating even more time to the robotics club. He also bikes hundreds of miles over the course of a month. Honestly, I think he does it all.
Every single day when I walk into class, he is as energetic as a fully charged battery, releasing it when the bell rings. Nobody knows how he manages to get all this stamina.
From his students to his family to his friends, Mr. Streufert encourages everyone and livens up their day. He is inspiring, optimistic, and brings motivation into the center of every students’ actions. With his initiative I learned more than I ever thought possible about the reality of things and how they work. And nobody could have made it easier or less stressful for me to accomplish that than Mr. Streufert.