Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

October 7, 2014
By Kylalala GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Kylalala GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
15 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Educator of the Year
  

As a teenager, we are supposed to act like adults, yet we are treated like children. I had always thought this, but that idea changed one September day during my sixth hour class on the first day of freshman year•. When the door swung open and a man who looked like a giant with a low, loud voice started talking about what his day had been like, walked in.• His hyped up attitude was like a child after drinking a can of soda.This was not a student, nor a giant•, this was Mr. David Gierach, my English teacher.
He was as funny as the class clown•, only this time it was the teacher. When I entered his class, I realized that it didn’t matter who you were, there would be no “It’s okay, finish it tomorrow” or, “Why didn’t you do well on that test?” No, instead he would walk right up to your desk, look at your paper and say, “Well, it was due today. Why isn’t it completed?”. These statements scared me so much that I promised myself that I would never miss one assignment. And I stuck to this promise.
The way he taught was like an airplane in flight, direct and always had a purpose.When it came to tests, though, he didn’t look at the score to judge a person of what they are capable of, or decide that they are stupid for not getting any higher than a 75% the entire year. Instead, he would judge you by the way you work, attitude, and most of all…how hard you try.At first I thought he was judgeing me negatively due to my scores, but little did I know, it was quite the opposite.
I had never understood why he believed in me. Everytime he gave me back a test, I would be surprised that he would not glare at me, suspecting I didn’t study. I always studied--for at least two hours every night.Yet every test that was returned to me was never higher than a 70%.
One day, I heard him say, “Kyla, I want to talk to you after class.”• The room was filled with ooohs and ahhhs from fellow students and my cheeks turned red. I was scared of getting yelled at for not succeeding in tests. But to my surprise, about 20 minutes later, with shaky hands and an even shakier voice, I found myself sitting in a desk, and with a conversation that went something like this:
“So, I’ve been looking at your test grades, and they aren’t so good.”•
“I swear I read the book,” I said.
“I know you did. That’s why I wanted to talk to you. You know it breaks my heart that I see you try so hard--harder than any of the other kids in here. Yet you receive in scores, what the ones who couldn’t care less earn. So, I would just like to tell you that if you need help on the tests or whatever, let me know.”
He said that to me and I thought for a moment and replied, “Thank you. But I want to keep taking normal tests. It just upsets me that no matter how hard I try, I just don’t get anything out of it.”
“If my children tried half as hard as you do, I would be a happy man.”
Simple, to the point, and meaningful. Those exchanged sentences meant so much to me. Mr.Gierach knew I tried, what most teachers tested with grades, he tested with his heart. But it wasn’t just tests that made it clear how wonderful of a teacher he was.
When it was time to present our speeches, he asked us who wanted to go first. And you see, I always go first in speeches--I love going first. To have no one to own up to, or do better than, I set the bar. You set the standards. Of course, no  hands were raised--what crazy teenager would want to go first? Well, this teenager right here sitting front row sure did.
So my hand slowly raised above my head and his eyes were wide with surprise. “That’s quite braver right there,” He said. “Quiet bravery.”•
Those words rang and echoed in my ears as I stood before a class of 30 kids, and delivered my speech on who I was. Now I know I was shy, trying to not get noticed by anyone especially teachers, but brave? I had NEVER been called that. Heroes, soldiers, even parents were brave. But me? No, I was just another teenage girl trying to get by in life as quickly and easy as possible. I was definitely not brave. I may have not thought so, but Mr. Gierach sure did.
That short conversation and four words caused my grades to spike and motivated me to do well on tests. But, I would have never been able to do it if it weren’t for Mr.Gierach. All students want is someone to say, “Good job. I believe in you. You can accomplish anything in life.” And I was lucky because Mr. Gierach said those things to me.
He is a teacher, football coach, and father.• Motivated, funny, and all around an amazing person, he is not just a giant in my eyes, he was a hero who turned a couple of simple words into some of the most important events that have ever happend to me.
Mr. Gierach has impacted me in so many ways. I am so appreciative that he walked through those doors sixth hour, on the first day of freshman year. And so I thank you, Mr. David Gierach, for believing in me when I couldn’t believe in myself and showing me that hard work never goes unnoticed.