Mark Kohnhorst: Swim Coach • Lake Country Swim Team, Hartland, WI | Teen Ink

Mark Kohnhorst: Swim Coach • Lake Country Swim Team, Hartland, WI MAG

October 6, 2014
By Amanda Schaefer GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Amanda Schaefer GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Since age eight, when I began swimming, I have had the dream of winning a scholarship for the sport. Thanks to one man – my club swimming coach, Mark Kohnhorst – my dream has come true.

If you watch my club during practice, you’ll see Mark in a Lake Country Swim shirt and khaki pants, with a beard that wraps around his mouth. He will be doing one of the following: leaning against the backstroke flags, sitting in the lifeguard chair, or yelling to keep us motivated. He is always watching the swimmers for one reason only: he cares.

Every season begins the same way. I have a meeting with Mark and talk about my goals; he then helps me plan out how I will accomplish them. It sounds something like this:

“Okay, Schaefer, what are your goals for the season?”

I tell him a swim time I think I can accomplish.

“No, you can go faster.”

Then he gives me a time that sounds almost impossible. There is usually some complaining. I tell him that the time is too fast and that I can’t do it.

Mark takes off his glasses, rubs his eyes, and says, “Schaefer, you can do it. I promise you, I will do everything in my power to help you reach this goal. I believe in you and know by the end of the season you will be at this time.”

When Mark promises he will do everything in his power to help you reach your goal, he means it. Whether you like it or not, he will push you to your limit. He will make you do those extra push-ups, that extra 50 yards, or one more start to make sure you reach your full potential. He is the voice in your head telling you to keep going when your body is telling you to stop.

Not only does he push you to your limits, he helps you become a better person. If you have a problem with anything in your life, he somehow knows and will help you fix it. He helps with homework and plays therapist when you’ve had a bad day and need to vent. His office door is always open.

The best thing Mark has ever done for me, though, was fix my mental attitude. I always thought I was just average, never good enough to really get anywhere in my swimming career. Before my races, I would freak myself out thinking about the what ifs. What if I’m not fast enough? What if I can’t hold my pace? What if I lose? Focusing on these fears would cause them to come true. When Mark found out about the doubts floating around in my head, things began to change. He would calm me down every time. He’d make me laugh with jokes so terrible I thought they were hilarious. He would tell me that I just need to race – that my body knows what to do and I need to trust it.

Mark has never missed watching one of my heats. He’s taught me to become a better person in and out of the pool, and he has helped me overcome my hardest challenges. Not only did he help me get a Division 1 scholarship to Western Illinois University, he gave me the skills to be a top distance swimmer on a college team. I have overcome all my obstacles and achieved what most people only dream about thanks to Mark Kohnhorst.