Teacher...s of the Year | Teen Ink

Teacher...s of the Year

October 6, 2014
By tkaucic SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
tkaucic SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine seeing the smile on the face of an ecstatic teacher after being informed that he or she was nominated for the teacher of the year title. Now imagine if you could put that smile on two faces.
Throughout my time in high school, English has not been a class I have enjoyed. When the time came for English, I would procrastinate going to class.
Then came the first day of my senior year. I walked into first hour (according to my printed off schedule) Creative Writing with Ms. Jorgensen. I had my head held high: It was my senior year, the first day, and I didn’t think I was too bad at writing.
When I walked in, I saw Ms. Jorgensen at her desk talking to a student with a smile on her face. Right as the reassuring feeling of a good year managed to slide its way into my head, it was blown away by a welcome I don’t think I’ll ever forget: “Hi there!”
I turned to see who it was, and to my surprise, it was a second, much taller teacher. Standing at six feet, four inches tall, Mrs. Hamilton was as pumped up as the Energizer Bunny. This got me excited to come in and see what this class was all about.
I felt so fortunate to have receive the two best traits in a dynamic duo of teachers--one was calm, reassuring and inviting, and the other was energetic, joyful and outgoing. Soon after, I discovered they were both pretty quirky as well, which added to my good feeling of having a fun time in class.
After the first class was over, I felt as though I knew so much about them--Ms. Jorgensen has a sister who is a world champion triathlon competitor, and Mrs. Hamilton herself was the number one basketball player in the world.
Two weeks into school, I got food poisoning; therefore, I missed the second Friday. I had the feeling of a hundred pounds crushing my stomach as I thought about the amount of homework I had to make up from that sick day.
The following Monday, I received a list of things from Mrs. Hamilton. The list was about what was done when I was gone in class. In Creative Writing, the class created haikus, accounts on a website and finished another writing piece.
Normally at this point, I would fall off track and begin getting confused about what I need to get done. But to my surprise, when I asked a question about something I missed, I got the response, “Trevor, how about you come in during study hall and I’ll get you all caught up?” I was in awe to hear that a teacher who just met me was willing to give up her time to help me feel caught up again.
Mrs. Hamilton had me meet with her during seventh hour study hall. I made the mistake of forgetting how energetic she was, and of course, she reminded me by walking in and saying, “Trevor! Hi!” 
She was able to get me all caught up in under 10 minutes. Mrs. Hamilton always has a motivation to get things done. She used to be a women’s basketball player, and earned her way to the best player in the world. And she brings that edge to the classroom as well.
Her and Ms. Jorgensen both go above and beyond trying to get students involved and be positive. Ms. Jorgensen has never failed to respond to my emails, which shows that she is there to help when students need it.
These are two devoted, inspiring and upbeat teachers. They have devoted time to make sure I stay on track in their class, they inspired me to bring a positive energy to school and always actively participate, and they’re most definitely upbeat with the way they teach our class.
The teacher of the year award would give a teacher the feeling of accomplishment they would never forget. Creating a co-award for two teachers would double the happiness distributed by the award.