Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By tommy_o SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
tommy_o SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

The first day of freshman year…not the most enjoyable day of the year. I wanted to talk to my friends from middle school and see how their summers went. I walked around the new hallways to make sure I didn’t get lost later. And then I waited anxiously to see what my new teachers were going to be like. Now I didn’t know this at the time, but my woods teacher, Mr. Richman, was going to be a much bigger influence in my life than I ever imagined possible. 

Mr. Richman teaches wood shop from new, unskilled freshmen to experienced, talented seniors. He’s not the tallest guy, but I’m still shorter than him. When I walk into the classroom, there’s always a “Hey, Tom!” He’s not the loudest guy but when he talks everyone listens because we respect him as a teacher and he respects us as students.

Mr. Richman is a very patient teacher. He is able to take his time to explain what to do to students that just aren’t getting it. He knows how to talk to students so most of them get it the first time. I have had him for every woods class I’ve taken since freshman year so I can pretty much read his mind about what he’s going to say. Now I still have my moments of not knowing what to do. But then he says, “You should know how to do this!”, I know he’s joking and always helps me or anyone who asks him.

Now not many students have the opportunity to see him after woods class, but me and a couple other students get the joy of having him as a coach too. He is the head coach of the Lake Country Action Shooters. I have the pleasure of being a part of that team. I had only shot a pistol one other time before this and he helped me get to becoming ranked in the top 5 nationally in my shooting class. He taught us the correct way to shoot as fast as possible so we wouldn’t form any bad habits. He takes the time to help each of us on the team individually so we can shave the fraction of a second off our time. And we all appreciate it very much.

Now I don’t want to brag but because of him our team is ranked first in the nation in the style of competition shooting we do. He got me up to a level where I am now. I am now ranked third in the nation for junior centerfire shooters. That has to tell you how good he is. Taking a guy who has no experience shooting pistols -- let alone in competition -- to getting me to the point that I’m ranked top five in the country… come on, that takes talent.

Mr. Richman is one of very few teachers I have connected with. And so far he’s the only teacher I have loved since freshman year. He is not only a extremely awesome woods teacher, but an accomplished competition shooter. I look up to him as a mentor and role model and hope that other students will do the same. And that’s why I think he should be recognized for all that he does inside and outside of school.