Mrs. Grendahl | Teen Ink

Mrs. Grendahl

March 31, 2014
By 5nelson BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
5nelson BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Mrs. Grendahl

Back when I was in eighth grade, I hated coming school. I still do now but not as much, thanks to Mrs. Grendahl. I absolutely hated going to school because I had nothing to look forward to except seeing my friends. A lot of times I didn’t go, and when I did, I wasn’t involved in any of my classes. It was like that until I had Mrs. Grendahl’s English class.

Mrs. Grendahl was different than most teachers I had in middle school because she tried to get the students involved in her class. Other teachers would try once and if a student didn’t put forth the effort, the teacher would just stop trying. Not Mrs. Grendahl. She tried over and over to get me to be me more involved until I finally was. And I actually enjoyed going to her class. I had her right in the morning so I didn’t dread coming to school so much.

She taught me the way I look at things has a big impact on how I feel. If I sit and dread school and don’t even try, I’ll hate it, but if I do try and try to think positively school won’t be so bad and maybe I’ll find something I’ll like.

One thing I think really makes Mrs. Grendahl stand out more than other teachers is that she taught her class in a way that the kids responded well to. She didn’t teach the way she wanted to teach it, she taught it the way the kids wanted to learn. She taught in a way that the kids learned the things they needed to learn and they were happy and enjoyed doing it, which I think is all she wanted. She did that by getting the students involved, and she didn’t keep us trapped in our desks.

Ever since her class, I’ve looked at school in a different way and I don’t hate going so much anymore. I still don’t like to go but, really, who does?