Mrs. Hansen | Teen Ink

Mrs. Hansen

By saraheyerdahl SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
saraheyerdahl SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Putting up with me as a fourth grader must have been one of the hardest jobs, but Mrs. Hansen knew exactly how to keep me in line. She taught me how to become a better student by learning to love education. She helped me during her lunch hours and all during the summer just to get me at the learning level of the rest of the students in my class.
Throughout elementary school, I always had problems reading, writing and spelling. Every year, I would have to go to another teacher during literacy because I needed help reading, and I hated it. Once I got to fourth grade, I was unsure of Mrs. Hansen because my older sister did not have her. But Mrs. Hansen was really nice at first and funny. After class every day, she read to our class. That was my favorite part of the day, mostly because I hated reading myself.
Later in the year she realized my hatred for reading and brought me into her classroom during her lunch hour. We bonded really well because she gave me choices, which made me feel in control. Those lunch hours weren't just for reading. She also got to know me, and she helped me with family troubles.
When fourth grade was finished, I was sad to say goodbye to one of my favorite teachers. I believed Mrs. Hansen was too because then she offered her services during the summer to help me with reading to catch up with the other students in my grade. I never liked reading until that summer when Mrs. Hansen helped me.
Another teacher has never helped me and connected with me the way Mrs. Hansen did. She changed my life for the better in my education and made me care more for my own education.