Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By Andrew Burkett BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Andrew Burkett BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

Educator of the Year Nomination
Mrs. Zutz-Cummings

On the first day of my sixth grade year everything was new. For the first time, we were changing classes, and instead of one teacher, we had many. This was also the first day I met Mrs. Zutz Cummings. She was going to be my science teacher and eventually one of the best teachers I ever had.
Mrs. Zutz Cummings made her classroom interesting and fun. From the first time I stepped foot in the classroom, I thought, “Boy maybe this won’t be so bad.” You could tell that she liked her job and enjoyed helping children learn. She was always excited about the subject matter and very eager to teach us something new.

Mrs. Zutz Cummings encouraged us to work hard and not give up especially when we were having trouble. She was patient and kind but also challenged us. We were always doing some sort of experiment or down on the floor trying to propel a car with air. The room was exciting, and she used many different tools to teach us, so it was never boring.
Mrs. Zutz Cummings was also very involved in many other things that were taking place around the school. She was very committed to making Brandywine Springs a great place to learn, and she clearly took a lot of pride in her job. Any student would have been lucky to have her as their science teacher. I know I was.
In conclusion, Mrs. Zutz Cummings has done a lot to make Brandywine Springs the fantastic school it is today. There are many times I miss that school, and she is one of the main reasons. I feel very lucky to have had a teacher that inspired me to learn and truly tried to help her students be the best that they could be. She deserves a lot of credit for all her hard work and dedication. She deserves a nomination for Educator of the Year.

I hope that essays like this will inspire other to teach.