Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

March 31, 2014
By 5eckes SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
5eckes SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When you think about an educator of the year, who do you think about? I personally don’t think about a “teacher.” I think about my old guidance counselor Mrs. Whyte. I remember my first time ever going into her office, I did not want to be in there at all...

It all started with freshman conferences. In these, I talked about what careers I liked and the classes you chose. I thought it was so stupid being forced to go in and talk about these things. Later on in the year I got into some trouble. I had to start going into her office every Wednesday. We talked about what had happened during the week, and some personal things that were going on in my life. I hated going to these meetings at first. But once I got comfortable with her, the meetings started to grow on me. I loved going to the meetings! I knew i had someone I could trust and vent to about things. I could tell her anything! I tell her about my boyfriend, my family, and when I was going through a rough patch. I knew I could trust her.

She does her best to help me and she gives the most wonderful advice out of anybody that I know; the things she says come straight from her heart. You can really feel the meaning behind what she is saying. She connects on a personal level and tries to understand. She, herself has been through a lot so you know what shes saying is real. Once you get comfortable with her, you know you can trust her.

Even though I was very skeptical at first, Mrs. Whyte has turned out to be one of my favorite educators. She is a person with a warm, touching, caring heart. If I have to choose, Mrs. Whyte would definitely be the teacher of the year. She isn't just an educator, she is determined, open-minded and most of all, a best friend.