Eva Foxwell: Business Technology • Brandywine Springs School | Teen Ink

Eva Foxwell: Business Technology • Brandywine Springs School MAG

March 30, 2014
By nindsay33 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
nindsay33 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It was my first day of Business Technology class in sixth grade, and I was petrified: everyone said the teacher was one of the hardest in my school. Now I know what they were talking about. Mrs. Foxwell is a person determined to succeed at everything she does. She told us that by the time we graduated eighth grade, our class would complete various Microsoft PowerPoints, be at the top of our typing game, create our own business and put on a networking event, and have a simulated job interview. She is the educator who taught me the absolute most and pushed me to be at the top of my game no matter how big or small the task.

Mrs. Foxwell taught us what it is like to be in the business world. Before she became a teacher she worked for a big company and was high up in the chain of command. As soon as you walk into her decorated classroom, it feels like you are a grown-up in the real world. She never treats her students like kids. She has a great personality and is very helpful and caring. Her motto: Be like Nike and “Just Do It.” This means that there’s no use complaining about anything, because one way or another, it has to be done. And if you have to accomplish a task, you might as well have fun with it. She repeated this phrase many times during class, and it really was a motivator for us.

Mrs. Foxwell had many amazing life experiences to share with us. In a way, she was like a therapist and life coach. She was there for everyone. If you had an issue, whether at home, with a friend or in the classroom, she would listen for as long as you needed and then give advice. And let me tell you, her advice was always right on point. There was never a time when she wouldn’t help someone if she could. She always did everything in her power to make things better for her students.

Every class period, we did so much work! Mrs. Foxwell ran the class smoothly so there was never a moment when we just sat there. We always had something productive to do, and if not, then she would give us a task. “Use your time wisely” is another quote she used frequently in her class. Whether it was working on an assignment or practicing our typing, there was always something to do.

At the beginning of each month, Mrs. Foxwell’s classes had a contest called Typing to the Top to determine who was the quickest and most accurate typist. To make sure we didn’t look at the keyboard, Mrs. Foxwell would put a piece of construction paper over our hands. The winner got his or her name posted in the classroom.

Business Technology with Mrs. Foxwell is a class that gave me skills I will use forever. She taught me so much in the months I had her as a teacher: how to write checks, pay bills, be successful in a job interview, dress to impress, work well under pressure, and most importantly “Just Do It.” I feel like I am ready and well prepared for the real world. Mrs. Foxwell had a great impact on me. I hope that one day I can make a difference in someone’s life like she did for me.