Robert Lingenfelter- Social Studies Teacher | Teen Ink

Robert Lingenfelter- Social Studies Teacher

By smittnight SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
smittnight SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

Educator of the Year

Is it just me or is it odd that my eighth grade social studies teacher would talk to his cardboard cutouts of Obama and Bush? This may sound weird but it all played a part in his amazing persona. Mr. Lingenfelter, otherwise known as, Mr. L is by far the best teacher I have had throughout my years in school. He is the prime example of someone whose job is made for them and is doing the thing he loves most every day, teach. Sitting through his class you learn more than just social studies, you learn about yourself. I wish for nothing more than to be his student at least one more time.

I still remember the first time I ever walked into Mr. L’s room. Of course, throughout my time at Skyline Middle School I heard rumors about his room. People always said it was fascinating and unlike any other classroom in the building but I never questioned them. Finally the moment came when I saw it for my own eyes. Walking in you saw posters all over the room with mainly information about JFK, signed pictures of politicians, cardboard cutouts of politicians, the mountain top, the judge stand, and, possibly the most interesting, the Jay Cheeseman learning center. I was in awe. I never experienced a teacher more dedicated and proud of his job. The Jay Cheeseman learning center was inspired by one of teachers that had a big impact on Mr. L. I’m not sure if he knows this but he literally followed in his idols footsteps and became an idol to many of his students.

After not too long of being in his class, Mr. L gave my peers and I one of the best lectures I have ever had. The first sentence out of his mouth was “Show me your friends and I’ll show you your future.” Most of us looked around confused until he explained himself. He told us that day to be friends with people that help us succeed and grow to be good people. My friend Brianna and I talked to him after class that day. We wanted to see what he thought about us and he said that we will most likely be friends for a while. Mr. L was right; to this day I am still close friends with Brianna. In another discussion, Mr. L informed us about the mountain top award. To sum it up it is basically an award for growing enough to reach the top of the mountain and accomplish your goals. Every day he would reference it, which made everyone want it that much more. At my graduating ceremony we all received this award and I have kept it framed all along.

Mr. L was an active teacher. He was always involved and we always had hands on activities. I mean really, what teacher do you know that would make a court room in his class during the teaching of the Salem witch trials? What a brilliant man. He did everything in his power to get his students to want to learn. Mr. L was more than a teacher, he was a father figure. He was the man everyone looked up to. His fatherly instincts probably came from the fact that he didn’t have kids of his own. He ended up treating his students like children. You know, teaching us right from wrong and showing us how to succeed. To be honest, this world needs more teachers who care like he does.

In conclusion, Robert Lingenfelter is not only a great teacher but a great person. I am aware that he has won this award multiple times but he most definitely deserves it. He has impacted my life and many others way more than he believes. Mr. L will always be that teacher I remember and give credit to. He has made it to the mountain top and I intend to join him. Although I am jealous of his current students, I had my time with him and I hope they learn everything I did. My advice for Mr. L is to teach for as long as you possibly can. You are great at what you do and you are appreciated for it.