Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

January 30, 2014
By baull SILVER, Hockessin, Delaware
baull SILVER, Hockessin, Delaware
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Some students would view her energetic outlook on life overbearing and others just could not handle her enthusiasm first thing in the morning. To me, Ms. Fowler had the power to brighten any room with her smile, and she could lift any ones spirit with her contagious laugh.

Ms. Fowler is one of the most caring teachers that I know. She expresses a deep love for every one of her students. Also she possesses the special ability to engage all of her students in the lessons. She strives for excellence in everything that she does and many people look up to her and respect her.

I was blessed to be in her English class for two years during middle school. During my eighth grade year I developed a more personal relationship with her due to the fact that her son was in my class and had become one of my best friends. I found myself trusting her and looking up to her in many ways. She became a mother figure to me and I became part of the family.

On my 16th birthday she threw me a surprise party. It meant the world to me that she also had my birth family come down from Philadelphia and celebrate with us as well. Over the many years she has counseled me and stayed by my side throughout many trials. I can honestly say that she has made a huge difference in my life by modeling her love for others and her family.


Little did I know on the first day I sat in her English class that my teacher would eventually become a mother figure for me as well as a friend. I will always be grateful for the way she took me in, and the love that she continues to show me. For that I will always be grateful. I hope that one day I can make an impact on somebody’s life the way she has on mine.