Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

What qualities should an educator of the year posses? The first qualities are obvious, I am of course referring to things such as kindness and knowledge of the material. However, I believe that the educator of the year should be someone who possesses much more than that. The teacher that I am talking about is Rebecca Sims! Sims is my high school English teacher and to say that she is incredible would be an understatement. Sims has taught at Highland Home High School (HHS) for ten years and she shows no signs of her excellence slowing any time soon. Sims served in the United States Marines so she is no stranger to hard work and she demonstrates this in her class every day. She has her own special style of teaching that we all love. Her style, involvement in school activities, and her efforts in what she does for everyone and our school are all to be admired. At this point you must be curious about what this style is, so please, allow me to elaborate.

Every educator has their own way of teaching. Such as every model has their own style in choice of clothing, every teacher has their personal preferences in the way they teach a class. Now, as I have previously stated, Sims has military training so it is pretty obvious that she is firm. Little tolerance is given for slacking and if the work is sloppily attempted then Sims will not accept it. This is the drive that I believe high school students need to push them in the rite direction. Though she is firm, she is also fair. Sims understands if bad circumstances stand in the way of a student completing their work. In other words, if you try hard on the work and do not slack then Sims will give you a fair grade, this is an absolute fact. Essays are also a well known trademark or her class. She gives dozens of essay projects each year and I enjoy every single one of them. Sims does things for the school as well, not just her students.

Every school has that special someone that keeps the place up and running, for HHS that someone is Sims. Sims works after school in a program designed to look after kids who must stay later than usual. She is also our senior class sponsor. In a nutshell, this means that not only does she help the seniors carry out their expected protocol but she also keeps us out of trouble. Her sense of authority is unmatched but well respected among the students and other teachers. She does so much for not only the school but those around her as well.

Though she puts up a wall of stone around herself it is no secret that Sims loves every one of her students. Personally speaking, as a senior the first thing on my mind is college. However, it is hard to know what one must do when they have no prior experience with an issue so important, that is where Sims comes in. Sims is always helping my class not only look into, but literally apply for colleges. Honestly, if Sims had not taught us so much about the rules of applying for college I would not know where to start. She works with us individually to make sure that we are satisfies with our grade and position. Still though, even with all the pressure and work she has looming over her head she makes sure to personally make me laugh every day. I always feel better in knowing that when I am having a bad day that Sims will make me smile.

Style, school projects, and personal motivation are all qualities that this amazing educator possesses. It is true that she is not the only educator with these qualities but I assure you without any doubt that she is the educator who best executes them. Educator of the year would be an honor to any teach who receives it. So why not give it to a teacher who truly deserves it. Rebecca Sims is without any room for doubt, the educator of the year!

Sims really deserves this honor!