Dan Smith | Teen Ink

Dan Smith MAG

By Easton Noe BRONZE, Kansas City, Kansas
Easton Noe BRONZE, Kansas City, Kansas

Most men like him, but all men fear him. When they see him coming, they step out of his path. If the words “pain,” “sweat,” or “exhaustion” are heard, he will surely come to mind. His name is Coach Smith.

The sight of Coach Smith standing on the football sled as boys becoming men push him back and forth in the scorching heat is always fresh in my mind. A pack of Skittles and a Quick Trip cup always reside in his hands.

The young boys moving up to middle school have all heard of Coach Smith and look up to him like he's a king – probably because he really is treated like one. High school football with Coach Smith is a scary thought but also a thrill to every football player.

Coach Smith is respected instantly by almost everyone. And those who don't respect him at first learn to do so through sweat and pain on the football field. He is irreplaceable as a coach. Sure, he may be a little rough around the edges, but that's how all great coaches should be.

He has taught many young men important life principles. He tells us how to properly treat women. He teaches us how hard work pays off in many ways. Most importantly, he shows us that if we are going to do something, we might as well do it right the first time. Coach Smith has changed my work ethic and my outlook on life; he has changed my life for the better.

I nominate Coach Smith because of all the hard work he has put into our school football program. He has truly changed the lives of the young men on the football field. F