Mrs. Whitehaus | Teen Ink

Mrs. Whitehaus

By Eric Lundy SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Eric Lundy SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

She has bright fiery hair and a personality to match. My sophomore English teacher, Mrs. Carol Whitehaus, is not only my favorite teacher ever, but she’s also a friend as well. I always enjoy my English teachers, but Mrs. Whitehaus was special. She was so enthusiastic about everything.
For example my mother didn’t want me to read The Catcher in the Rye. So, when it came time to read it, instead of getting annoyed with having a student separated from the class, Mrs. Whitehaus excitedly aided me in the search for the right book to replace Catcher in the Rye. She asked me for suggestions and I named off one that I had been interested in: The Hunger Games. This was only a little while after the first book in the series had been released, so it was not popular yet. I expected her to ask what it was, look it up, and decline it for being too different from Catcher in the Rye. But much to my surprise, she had not only read it already, but she also loved it. That was great news for me, because not only did I get to read a great book for class but I also made a connection with her.
After settling on a book that I would read, she worked to come up with my own separate lesson plan for the next few weeks. She graciously took the time out of her busy schedule of paper editing and grading to make that plan fair and easy for me to handle. She even handed me all the pages of the plan asking me to check it over and let her know if I was okay with it. She had written up an outline explaining what I was to do, a couple pages of notes expounding on the outline, and a calendar just to top it all off.
As the days went by she would check up on my progress. At times she would sit down with me and ask if I could still handle following the plan. She proposed possible changes to it that I could choose to do in order to keep a steady work pace going in all of my classes in general. That really caught my attention. I had never had a teacher that tried to assist me with staying on top of any of my other classes before. That was the clincher. After that there was no question about who my favorite teacher was. I could tell that she honestly cared about me and wanted to help me.