Coach Curt Kaczor | Teen Ink

Coach Curt Kaczor

By haleymccullough PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
haleymccullough PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin

When it comes down to it, running has nothing do with what I think about this person. But, when I think of an adult I admire, I think of my Cross Country Coach, Curt Kaczor. Coach Kaczor has been a remarkable teacher, coach, and educator of mine for the last four years. When I first met Coach my freshman year, it was because I was going to be running cross country. I was nervous about making a good first impression, but he put me at ease right away. He asked me questions about myself, and he made me feel like he would enjoy having me on the team. He told me how he would help me reach the goals he set for his team and me. One of those goals was winning state, which we have done for the past two years. Coach gave me a reason to try from the beginning, and we were only getting started.

During the season, Coach is phenomenal. Every time our team of 100 girls has a workout, he spends the entire night before coming up with splits for each girl. When asked why he spends so much time doing this, he tells us, “I just do it because it helps you girls, and I love to see you get faster.” Our team is split into three groups: the varsity girls, the JV girls, and the rest of the team. Coach works with the fastest girls, yet he puts in an incredible amount of effort to learn the names, personal records, and strengths of all the girls in the other two groups. He puts his heart and soul into the team, and it’s obvious by the way he takes care of us. Coach Kaczor has the patience to deal with over 100 giggling, talkative girls every day, and I praise him for that.

Outside of season, Coach keeps his distance because of WIAA Rules, but if there is ever a time where our motivation is low, or we need to talk about something, Coach Kaczor will drive the 23 miles to go for a run with us and talk about whatever it is we need to discuss.

Besides being one of the best coaches I have ever had, Coach Kaczor is also my mentor. His ideas about how to move through life with a grin on your face are inspiring, and through the hundreds of times I have talked to him, he always has had the best advice. He takes the time to understand the situation, and he tailors his advice accordingly.

He’s now a substitute teacher at my old middle school, teaching mentally handicapped kids. This shows how well Coach can teach kids, and have the staying power to enjoy it as well. Curt Kaczor deserves the Educator of the Year award because of his dedication to what he loves.