Frank Ballisteri | Teen Ink

Frank Ballisteri

By Morgan_Hayett3 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Morgan_Hayett3 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

“You look familiar, is your mother Shellee G.?” It took me a second to realize that he was talking about my mum, but I quickly replied with a simple and hyped up “Yes!” The biggest grin came across my substitute teacher’s face. “I had her and her sisters as students in my English Class years ago; boy was she a trouble maker or what!” He explained.

Just by the enthusiasm and the fact he had both my aunts and my mum, I knew this English class was in for a joy ride. The next forty minutes were of him getting to know each student personally and their background. His name is Frank Ballisteri. And he is by far the best English Substitute teacher I’ve ever had. He’d tell us about his life and he’d listen to our crazy stories. He personally got to know each and every student and he remembered our faces and our interests.

But there’s more to him than just teaching a class. He also plays guitar Wednesday nights at the local Wine Store and Tasting Bar. When I talk to Mr. Ballisteri, it’s more on a personal level. Outside or inside the classroom, there’s always something to chat about. And he’ll listen, even if it’s about my stupid boy problems. He’ll ask how my mum and both of my aunts are doing. He took his time listening to me and I returned the favor.

What’s great, though, is that you can’t be mad around Mr. Ballisteri; he’s one of those people that when you see them you instantly forget why you’re upset in the first place. He’s a child in a grown man’s body. He takes time out of his day to listen to students and help them. And he motivates kids in class.

But when it came down to actually learning the material, he’d do as much as he could to help us out. When students couldn’t remember a definition, he’d apply it to student’s everyday life. Like the word ‘excruciating.’ He’d tell them “You do basketball right? Well basketball is one hell of an excruciating sport! Why do you play it?!” Of course we’d be laughing our butts off. Nothing is more exciting than his strong and powerful voice that overpowers the distractions. He always makes things more enjoyable.

Mr. Balesteri should be awarded best teacher—not only because of his big heart—because he makes teaching easy and fun, and believe me, English and I did not get along. His sense of humor brightens days and his honesty and caring makes it easy to trust him and just be yourself. And most importantly, he relates to students on a personal level. He’s there for anyone and everyone. He’s the best teacher I’ve had
Mr. Ballisteri is a father figure in some ways and best friend in others. And he will always be my favorite teacher. Thank you, Mr. Balesteri, for making my high school life actually enjoyable.