In Advanced Composition, Teacher Makes the Grade | Teen Ink

In Advanced Composition, Teacher Makes the Grade

By abbeybuss GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
abbeybuss GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Advanced Composition is an English class offered at Arrowhead High School. Mrs. Carnell teaches this class. The class is not only very enjoyable, but also extremely easygoing. Mrs. Carnell teaches what she needs to teach, while maintaining a relaxed atmosphere. So far in this class we have written college essays, letters of advocacy, and learned over 40 vocabulary words.

Mrs. Carnell provides as much help as a teacher could. And she truly cares about her students and their success. She will work with any student during any of her free hours or after school. She really takes the time to look over your work to make sure that you are achieving your full potential. Some teachers have the tendency to just correct grammatical errors in papers and hand them back. But Mrs. Carnell re-reads your paper multiple times and writes in possible suggestions on the side.

She also is able to communicate with her students as if they are her equals, so a good student-teacher relationship is formed. She doesn’t treat students like they are children or as if she is superior to them. I think that this is very important in the success of the students. If they are comfortable with a teacher, they do not feel as if their work is being judged when they hand it in to the teacher to get revised and edited.

Writing your college easy can be extremely nerve-wracking and stressful. The great thing about this class is that writing your college essay is used as an assignment. This is helpful because you have class time to work on it and get immediate input from fellow classmates and the teacher. Writing your essay all on your own time can significantly add to your stress level, considering all of the regular school work and studying you have to keep up with.

In Advanced Composition, you learn approximately ten vocabulary words a week and are tested on them every other week. Learning an abundance of vocabulary words is exceptionally helpful when you are required to write seven papers throughout a semester. A wide range of vocabulary makes your work more interesting, enjoyable to read, and sound more intelligent.

Even if you don’t particularly enjoy writing, or if English isn’t your favorite subject, you will still take pleasure in taking Advanced Composition. This class does obviously require you to do work at home on your own time. But if you put the effort in, you will get so much out of it.