My "ideal" teacher | Teen Ink

My "ideal" teacher

October 4, 2012
By AlwaysSmilin SILVER, Goffstown, New Hampshire
AlwaysSmilin SILVER, Goffstown, New Hampshire
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never Give Up!


If I were asked to describe the ideal teacher, I instantly think of this one person, though I am sure many fit the criteria for an “ideal” teacher, since it varies student to student. To me, the “ideal” teacher is someone who makes you enjoy learning, someone who is supportive, and someone who goes above the call of duty to help you out. Not everyone has the chance to find and meet this “ideal” teacher, but those lucky ones that do find this person, are blessed. I was one of the lucky ones, and I met my ideal teacher in my freshman year of high school. Needless to say, she was my English teacher during my freshman year. When I walked into my English class that first day, I knew I would instantly love this teacher; her crazily outgoing personality, and her silly voices that always made me laugh until I had tears streaming down my face. She once told us that she always wanted to be a voice on Disney, and as much as Disney would’ve been blessed to have her, I am so glad she took to teaching.

This teacher could make my day just with that thought that I was having her class. I was always so excited for the days that I had English class, which was only every other day due to our rotating schedule. I could sit in that class all day, and hated that it was only an hour and a half, because it went by way too fast for me. English had always been my strong point, none the less; I continued to have a strong love for English, and a high grade all year in her class. As I continued to go to this class, I began to love it and her more and more. June came way too fast, and I’ll be completely honest, I cried on that last day of school, when the reality hit that I would not have her class again, until I was a senior.

This teacher is such an incredible teacher, that I continued to visit her during my sophomore year of high school, and when I had difficulty I went to her. With a new year came a new teacher, and I had difficulty adjusting to a more laid back, not overly exciting teacher such as she was to me, I even begged to go back to freshman English again. With her help, I eventually came around to liking this new English teacher, though her approach was never my style, and I have yet to find a teacher with the same style as my Freshman English teacher.

Now I am a junior in high school, and yes I still go back and visit this wonderful teacher who still to this day impacts my life in such incredible ways. I visit her every morning before school, and sometimes even after school before practice. She continues to be such a supportive and inspirational woman in my life, and I don’t think that will ever end. When I need help or am just having a bad day, I turn to her, and she always makes me feel so much better. When I have a great Cross Country race, or even a bad one she always says she’s proud of me, even on the days I come in dead last, and genuinely means it.

Even though I have not had her as a teacher since freshman year, she still continues to play such a crucial role in my life, and continues to go above and beyond for me even though I am technically not her student at the time being. I am blessed to have her in my life, and proud to say she is my teacher, inspiration, support, and friend. For those that are blessed with an incredible teacher, such as I have, embrace it, and never let that go. I know even when I am gone off to college; this woman will forever be a part of my life as a teacher as well as a friend.