Andrew Zuercher • Physics • Arrowhead High | Teen Ink

Andrew Zuercher • Physics • Arrowhead High MAG

By Justin Froze BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Justin Froze BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

It's a great feeling to walk into a class and want to be there, not just have to. Physics wasn't originally my favorite subject, but it definitely is now. Mr. Zuercher, with his ADD personality, is by far the most amusing teacher. That isn't to say we didn't get down to business – business being physics – because we did. He took a complex concept and related it to his students, allowing us to see the real-world applications, the possibilities, and the fun in physics.

I attained the desire to take AP Physics from Mr. Zuercher – I simply enjoyed every lesson, every lab, and every class. I soared in his class with high A's, and he later informed me I could be successful with a career in physics. I believed him because I grew to love the subject, not just the class.

I walked into class each day looking forward to hearing another one of his odd stories – Mr. Zuercher's infamous stories. He was just so comfortable with his students that his delivery made them memorable. They were original, and always funny, but every story related perfectly to physics.

As I've spent time out of his class, I have begun applying everything from physics to real-life. And I think to myself, Nerd, but I just can't help it! I apply Mr. Zuercher's lessons to working out, track, basketball, mechanics, everyday chores, even water pouring from the faucet. And when I do, I think of Mr. Zuercher and some crazy story pertaining to the application.

I have been waiting for the moment I would suddenly fall in love with a subject – as every kid does. Now I have found my inspiration and will be majoring in physics at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.