educator of the year | Teen Ink

educator of the year

April 30, 2012
By ria kannampuzha BRONZE, Willmington, DE, Delaware
ria kannampuzha BRONZE, Willmington, DE, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Throughout my life I have been taught by a number of teachers. All my teachers influenced me the same way, in exception of Mrs. Barr. She was different. She changed me in various ways. From my experience in the sixth grade, I have detected many qualities about her that made her stand out the most.


Every teacher has a different type of aptitude that distinguishes his/her from other teachers. Mrs. Barr had and showed qualities such as patience, flexibility, kindness, etc. She had a very good sense of humor, was humble, and honest. She respected and enjoyed teaching. It was her passion. She was a teacher who taught not only with her intelligent mind but also with her truthful heart. Mrs. Barr treats each and every student in her own personal way. The most special quality that I like about her is that she treats everyone like her best friend. This makes students want to talk to her more often and not hesitate to ask her anything.


I was a new kid in sixth grade when I first moved to California. I really was not keen in moving. I was really scared the first day of school. Luckily I happened to be in Mrs. Barr’s homeroom. She introduced me to the class and gave me a worm welcome. If it wasn’t for her I wouldn’t have met my best friend. She made it feel like home. Anyhow, the very first math test I took in her class didn’t go so well. She could make out that I did not know what I was doing. Later that day she invited to come during lunch and she personally spent time with me and taught me the lesson until I was absolutely satisfied with the lesson. I retook the test a week later and I scored a 100 percent. She was a teacher who always smiled and was very dedicated. She made learning fun. Mrs. Barr had many creative ways of teaching and not one second in her was boring.


The technique Mrs. Barr use in teaching was very different. She had numerous creative ways of teaching and encouraging kids to learn. The only reason that I know my multiplications by heart is because of Mrs. Barr. She made my class play a timed multiplication game that we played every week. By the end of the year there was a lot of improvement in everyone. If it wasn’t for her, math wouldn’t have been as easy for me now. She was very enthusiastic and was an inspiring motivation. Mrs. Barr was an amazing teacher and also an inconceivable best friend. I could trust Mrs. Barr to tell any of my personal problems. She is very kind hearted woman. She would work any problem generously and somehow mysteriously solve the issue. She was not only my teacher; she was also my best friend.


She was not only a teacher but also a friend. I cannot think of anyone else other than a friend that I can trust and gain knowledge from. She motivated and changed me in voluminous ways. I hope one day that I would come across a teacher just like Mrs. Barr to encourage me through my life ahead.